April 19, 2014

A-Z Challenge 17: Quantum leap

You sometimes hear people talk about quantum leaps as a metaphor: “We have made a quantum leap”. If you study physics, you learn about quantum leaps in the lectures on quantum mechanics, of course. That’s where the metaphor comes from. In the physics lectures, you also learn that a quantum leap is incredibly small. Usually, it’s an integer times Planck’s constant, which is order 10 to the power minus 34 (in units of Js, Joule seconds). That is, 0.000…01, with 34 zeros after the decimal point and before the digit 1. Correspondingly, the Planck length is order 10 to power the minus 35 meters. That's the scale of the quantum leaps.

The Planck length does not have a clear physical meaning, but Planck's constant does. Multiplied by frequency, it's the typical separation between the energy levels of a quantized system (e.g. a harmonic oscillator), and hence the magnitude of a quantum leap.

So whenever I hear a car or computer manufacturer claiming that they have made a technological quantum leap, I think this is not an improvement worth paying for, if you see what I mean.

6 comments:

  1. Good point. It's a tiny distance. Just sounds impressive.
    Having a good time on the slopes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lif on the slopes is good. Last day of skiing tomorrow, before going back to work (which is fun too)

      Delete
  2. Uhm, if I understood what you wrote, I would say that I just made a quantum leap.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well explained! I hate it when people use expressions that they really don't understand. My biggest pet peeve in language is when someone is making an announcement and actually says, "So contact Mark or myself for more information." I think to myself (hahahaha), "Would they stand up there and say contact myself? I don't think so, they'd say contact ME." But then I heard a guy making an announcement and he actually said, "So contact myself for more information." I wanted to throw something at him, or at least send the word-nerd police after him.
    I'm drinking ginger ale, which I don't think you have, but the ginger really settles the stomach, as does the carbonation. I'm sure coke would work, too, but I prefer this.
    Happy skiing!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the ginger ale helps. We have something with basically the same name (ingerfærøl), but it's a very drink. My favorite drink when we lived in Colorado was AriZona ice tea >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails