April 22, 2014

A-Z Challenge 19: Selfie

It’s interesting how new words come into our vocabulary, and sometimes become very popular in a short time. A selfie is a self portrait, usually taken with the digital camera on a smart phone, and usually posted instantly on the Internet, on Facebook or Instagram.

If you search for #selfie on Instagram, you get 103 million hits (I just did it). Today everybody knows what a selfie is, but who had heard this word just a few years ago?

Self portraits are not new.  Many of the greatest artists made one or more of them. Picasso, Dali, van Gogh, and Munch all painted self portraits. Making a self portrait with paint and pencil took so time (and some skills).

Making a self portrait with a digital camera is so fast and easy that nobody have the time to pronounce the full word anymore, and then we got the selfie.

Everybody are taking and posting selfies. My kids do it. Rihanna and Beyonce do it daily. Even Obama and the Prime Minister of Denmark do it (on inappropriate occasions).



I don’t post pictures of myself on the Internet, but I think I need a selfie, just to show that I’m following the trends of the time. Above is a picture I took on the chairlift a couple of days ago when I was skiing in the mountains. It shows the tips of my skis and my shadow. Does that count as a selfie?

3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet and connect through atozchallenge. http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a good one. Very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your selfie on the ski lift! I rarely do them. Although a while back I know I did them more often. Now it is usually when I am with someone that I want to show everyone what we're doing. I don't like the way I look enough to take pictures all the time. Great post, and thanks for visiting my S post earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails