June 6, 2016

Question of the Month: Where would you like to go next?

I signed up for the "Question of the Month" hosted by Michael G D'Agostino at A Life Examined. Actually, I signed up some months ago, but there were some questions I couldn't answer, and some I didn't want to answer, so I start this month.

The question of the month is

"Of all the places in the world to which you haven't been, where would you like to go next?"

That's a nice question, in particular since I'm sitting in the Copenhagen airport in transit while writing this.

I'm grown up in the north, and lived most of my life in the northern part of Europe. The north, with dark snowy winters and light summers, is where I belong. I've been to some really awesome places in the north, such as this Arctic magic.

Right now, I'm on the way to Iceland, which is a really cool place. It's one of the few places where you can stand on a crustal plate boundary, with one foot on the Eurasian plate and one on the American plate.

But to answer the question; the place I would really like to go, kind of an unrealistic dream, is down south. What I have in mind is Antarctica. The preferred time to go there would be December or January, when days are short and dark in the north, and the midnight sun shines in Antarctica.

I could follow the Arctic tern, this little gray bird, with a black cap and red beak, which has the most amazing annual migration route, living in the Arctic during northern summer (I've seen them in the Arctic), and then flying around the world to Antarctica, for the southern summer. That's really cool.

(I didn't get to finish this post before we had to board the plane, and I have now arrived in Iceland. I checked in to the hotel and went for a walk in the town where we're staying. The picture above was taken 15 minutes ago,)

4 comments:

  1. Well, you wouldn't want to go there when it's winter. I've seen March of the Penguins. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I can't stand the cold. I much prefer the heat, weather it be the dry scorched heat of Australia or the wet sticky heat of South East Asia. Although I don't like the mosquitoes of South East Asia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going to D.C. in July--I've never been there. I think I'd like to go on a cruise to an island somewhere. My parents want us to go with them, but we watch each other's dogs when we go on vacation and you can't take dogs on a cruise like you can other vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that unrealistic anymore. Maybe it'll come true one day, just like some other until now unrealistic dreams...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails