February 2, 2010

My little list of favorite books

I have a record of all the books I have read in the last 25 years. It's based on old-fashioned technology, which means it's a small note book, made of real paper, where I write, with a pen. Recently, I have started to transfer it to my computer. Some books I read in Winterlandic, some in English. It would be cool to write a review of each book, but that would take forever. Here is a list of my favorite books, that is, books that I really enjoyed, and recommend for book-lovers like myself:

Dostoyevsky, Fyodor:
The Player (Gambler)
Crime and Punishment
The House of the Dead
The Idiot
Brothers Karamazov

Tolstoy, Leo:
War and Peace
The Cossacks
Sevastopol Stories
Anna Karenina

Turgenev, Ivan:
Fathers and Sons
Smoke

Lermontov, Michael:
A Hero of Our Time

Pushkin, Alexander:
The Queen of Spades

Ibsen, Henrik:
Ghosts
A Doll’s House
The Wild Duck
Rosmersholm
An Enemy of the People
Brand

Hamsun, Knut:
Hunger
Mysteries

Bjørneboe, Jens:
Moment of Freedom
Powderhouse
The Silence
Without a Stitch

Kielland, Alexander:
Poison

Falkberget, Johan
Christianus Sextus

Lindgren, Astrid:
Emil of Lønneberga

Lagerløf, Selma:
Marbacka: The Stories of a Manor

Lundell, Ulf:
Jack

Guillou, Jan:
The Road to Jerusalem
The Knight Templar

Brink, Andre:
Rumours of Rain
A Dry White Season

Hemingway, Ernest:
The Old Man and the Sea
The Sun also Rises
Farewell to Arms

Irving, John:
Hotel New Hampshire
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The World According to Garp
The Ciderhouse Rules

Steinbeck, John:
Tortilla Flat
Grapes of Wrath

Jack Kerouac:
On the Road

Ellis, Bret Easton:
American Psycho

Miller Henry:
Tropic of Cancer
Tropic of Capricorn

Nin, Anais:
Henry and June

Greene, Graham:
The Human Factor

Marquis de Sade:
Justine (Misfortunes of Virtue)

Jean Genet:
Thief’s Diary
The Miracle of the Rose

Stendhal (Marie-Henri Beyle)
The Red and the Black

Adams, Douglas:
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
So Long and Thank’s for all the Fish

Mann, Thomas:
Buddenbrooks

Hesse, Herman:
Beneath the Wheel

Allende, Isabel
The House of the Spirits
Eva Luna

Marquez, Gabriel Garcia:
Love in the Time of Cholera
Clandestine in Chile

Lenz, Siegfried:
The German Lesson

Bernhard, Thomas:
Wittgenstein’s Nephew
Concrete

Kundera, Milan:
The Joke
Life is Elsewhere
The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Kafka, Franz:
The Trial
The Castle

Joyce, James:
Dubliners

Wilde, Oscar:
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Brown, Dan:
Angels and Demons
The DaVinvi Code

Puzo, Mario:
The Godfather
The Sicilian

8 comments:

  1. There are so many on this list I want to read.

    I just finished Galore by Michael Crummy. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gracious. I have never even tried to make a list of my favorite books!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad I started to write down title and author of books I read long time ago. Otherwise I wouldn't even remember which books i have read.

    I think I will make a list from the other end some time too; books I didn't like. I guess that list will be topped by Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked up Michael Crummy and Galore on Internet, seams to be an interesting book. Will see if I can get it in Winterland (can read it in English of course). I like these family sagas, War and Peace by Tolstoy, Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann, and many more >:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping taking a reading challenge might make me slightly more organized so maybe I can make a list. My husband and I usually ask each other periodically what our favorite recently read books were, and sometimes I struggle even to answer that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking one favorite book is impossibe, therefore I had to make a list. There are so many good books written, and in different genres that can not be compared. For instance you can't really compare "War and Peace" and "The Miracle of the Rose". But both are fantastic books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that it's not a little list but a rather big list for a scientist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, yes maybe.

    What’s big and small depends on the natural scale of the problem at hand. For instance if you’re driving down the street a 320 km (200 miles) per hour, the police officer would say you’re driving fast, even though it’s slow compared to the speed of light (300.000 km/s).

    When it comes to book lists, I’m not sure what the natural scale should be >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails