May 5, 2015

The lesbian bishop

Tonight I heard in the news that for the first time ever a lesbian priest has been nominated to the position as bishop in our state church. That's cool. I hope she will get the job. She will probably meet resistance from the conservative branch of the church, as usual.

I became a member of our state church at the age of 2 months. Nobody asked me, so I had no choice. Now, I'm an atheist, but I have kept my membership in the church. The main reason for this is to support progressive forces that challenge conservative religious doctrine.

I cant' see any reasons why women can't be priests or bishops, and I see no reason why lesbians can't be bishops. Probably you wouldn't notice any difference when she's standing by the altar or on the pulpit. 

Priests rarely exercise sexual activities in church, and hardly ever during mass, neither heterosexual nor homosexual This is something they eventually do on their free time, at home, or in the forest, like the rest of us. So then, what's the problem?

I think that professional positions in general should be awarded based on qualifications and skills, not on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, social position or balance on the bank account. 

If God created everything (some insist He did), he also created the gays and the lesbians. He probably did with a purpose, for instance to promote some of them to bishops. Nobody knows what God thinks about this anyway, He's apparently such a revengeful despot. But I bet Jesus would a approve a lesbian bishop >:)

(I found this cartoon on the Internet. Though some groups in our Protestant state church may seem to be quite conservative, they are at least a lot more progressive than the Catholics.)

5 comments:

  1. That's really cool. I hope that religion will be soon decoupled from the sexuality as such!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that cartoon is something, isn't it? I'd support the idea of female bishop irregardless of their sexuality. Maybe it could even be an asset in counseling gay members of the church who are struggling.

    The clergy-person who presided over my wedding was a female--presbyterian if it matters. She was also my best friend from first grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those religious folks do have their rules. Very interesting ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting and welcome news! A school friend of mine (male) was in a long term relationship with his partner who was a COE priest - eventually because of pressure from the community & Bishop of that area over their lifestyle choices, his partner left the priesthood, and it so affected him that their 30 year relationship broke up. Very sad, but a happy ending - my friend has now started a new life in a new town and he himself has just been awarded his priest's licence. The parish is lucky to have him, very caring man. SO this is a relevant and interestig development!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cool! There will no doubt be a lot of upset people about that, but I think this is a good sign that times are changing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails