September 20, 2016

Question of the Month: Which kind of music best speaks to you?

We're half way through September already, and there's a new question from Michael G D'Agostino at A Life Examined to be answered. The question of the month is:

"Which kind of music best speaks to you?"

I like many types of music, from Italian opera to Tom Waits. But my favorite type of music is black metal, in particular the classic songs and albums from the 1990s.  I'm thinking of bands like Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Taake and Mayhem.

Black metal, with it's sludgy guitar sound, fast blast drumming and somewhat harsh vocal style, that's the kind of music that make me relax. The song structure is often unconventional, with speed changes, and melodic guitar riffs.

Black metal concerts are way to rare in my home town. But this weekend, Mayhem is coming to town. I've bought tickets for the concert of course. I hope they will play some of the good old stuff. My favorite is Freezing Moon, the original recording with Dead on vocals.

The early black meal albums were recorded with cheep equipment in dark garages and musty basements. That's part of the charm with these old recordings.

In more recent times, some of the black metal bands were signed by big record labels, like Nuclear Blast. Dimmu Borgir even played live with a full symphony orchestra and choir. The concert was aired by the national broadcasting. That's cool of course, but the good old songs are still the best >:)

(Picture from my archives, taken some years ago when Mayhem played live at town square in my hometown on a light mid-summer night.)

6 comments:

  1. never heard of black metal music - had to google it, and boy, it looks scary!

    i like U2 which seems to put me in a minority these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary look is part of the imge. But the music is good. I liked U2 in the old days, but haven't listened to them for many years now

      Delete
  2. I like metal, too, though the grunge end of it is my favorite. Especially if it tells a sad story. How's that for specific?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunge is good. I used to be a fan of Nirvana.

      The lyrics of black metal is anti religion mostly, and some pagan and old norse influenced.

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoyed the concert...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concert was good but somewhat short. The played the songs from the Mysteriis Dom Sathanas album (from 1994), and that was it.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails