October 6, 2016

Question of the Month: What’s a decision you’ve made in the past ... ?

The question of the month is:
"What's a decision you've made in the past that you know, logically, was the right decision to make, but witch you still feel guilty and regretful about"
That's an interesting question, and also a scary one, because it's an existential question.

The world and our lives have no essential meaning. It's up to us to fill our lives with meaning, and we have the freedom to do this. This freedom isn't only good, because the freedom of choice leads to angst of making irresponsible or wrong choices.

The French-Algerian Nobel Prize winning author and existentialist philosopher Albert Camus once said:
"The only serious question in life is weather to kill yourself or not"
That's probably true. I've been considering this a couple of times, and come to the decision not to. I don't know if it was the right decision, but I don't regret it.

So that's probably not an answer to the Question of the Month. What else could I bring up?  Should I leave the country? Should I leave my wife? Should I ever have gotten married? I don't know, and I don't think I care  to answer. I only now what what is logically right, but I don't know if I would regret it >:)

(A selfie from my archives. Skiing season is not too far away. It's one of the tings I do to bring meaning to my meaningless life. The skis in the picture were awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have them anymore. They were stolen outside the restaurant when I was eating lunch.) 

4 comments:

  1. that's a tough question...i too have often thought about the meaninglessness of life, especially in my current situation, ...immediately following my divorce i often regretted that i had not done a host of things differently and tried harder to save the marriage - yet i know deep down we were both unhappy.

    ...and what a bugger about the snow ski's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think that happiness is just an delusion. We can only choose in which way to be unhappy. But in between there are some happy moments, fortunately >:)

      Delete
  2. I do not regret any of my decisions because I've learnt a lot from all of them. But I do regret putting aside myself for wrong reasons and wrong people. I regret the pain I caused to myself by doing so.
    PS.
    With all the respect to Albert Camus, that question never bothered me. We're given the gift of life for doing other things than thinking if to live it or not, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no reason to regret. It's better to think of the future, which may be better than we could imagine.
      PS. ALbert Camus said a lot of wise things, to think over, but maybe not to act according to

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails