March 15, 2012

After the election


This morning at 9am, my Russian driver picked me up at the hotel in Murmansk. Mission completed; I was going home. He was taking me to the Russian border, or more precisely, to the nearest airport across the border.

We drove through the winter-white wilderness of north-west Russia. We crossed a scenic mountain pass with two or three war memorials by the road. There were big battles during WW2. The Russians are good at building memorials.

It was a four-hour drive, and we had plenty of time to talk. We duscussed history, fishing, cars and kids. Then we talked about moving to Kaliningrad (not me, of course), and the recent Russian presidential election.

The driver doesn't like Putin. And I expect he didn't vote for Putin, but I didn't ask directly.
"What's wrong with Putin?" I said.
I have my own opinions, but would liked to hear his views.
"The main problem is that he's been in office too long; eight years as president, then four years as prime minister. People want change. Now we fear another eight years with Putin, at least."

Putin is in control of everything; the natural resources and the state-owned compenies, newspapers and television. He even dictates the super-rich oligarks, or jail them if they don't obey. The longer he rules, the more he behaves a Tsar, or a blend of Tsar and KGB officer (which he used to be).

Still people voted for Putin. According to official figures, he got 65% of the votes. Even the dead voted for Putin, thousands of people who had been dead for years. If the false votes are subtracted, he still gets more than 50% (estimated by international observers).

Halfway we stopped in Titovka, a small place in the middle of nowhere, with a cafe that serves instant coffee and something they called pizza. Maybe it was omelette; I'm in doubt.

Then we entered the military zone, where the roads are very wide. They were built for tanks, during the cold war. Built for a Red-Army invasion, that never came, fortunately.

We passed by the medieval town of Pechenga, and the depressive and polluted mining towns Zapolyarny and Nikel, where nothing has changed in decades. Then, some 10 km (6 miles) before the border, there is a check point. A grumpy guy in army uniform looked at our passports and searched the trunk of the car. He nodded , OK, but didn't smile.

Between the check-point and the border is a transit zone. You can drive through, but stopping is prohibited. At the boarder there is double-checking. A Russian officer stamped my passport, and let me through. Then finally, at the last check point, the officer greeted me: "Welcome home".

I was out of Putin's reach, for this time. Back from the USSR.

(Some pictures taken along the road; Pechenga and Nikel.)

11 comments:

  1. Well, if the dead deem him worthy...who are we to argue with the dead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's damn hard to argue with the dead, unless we're talking about zombies or vampires. Haven't seen any in Russia though >:)

      Delete
  2. Do you sit in the front seat of the taxi? Here in Oz, we're quite relax and we like to sit in the front seat and chat with the taxi driver. You had a long drive. Perhaps he can be one of your characters in the novel.

    Steamy Darcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sit in the front seat, and always enjoy chatting with the driver. We don't use regular taxis. In Murmansk we use the same driver every time. Nice guy, I know him quite well now

      Delete
  3. Even the dead... I love the deadpan way you add them. Great pictures and great catching up on your writing--always well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Lots of tricks are used to keep Putin in office, like the presidnet/PM swap with Medvedev

      Delete
  4. What an interesting trip! I would love to see Russia. It is interesting to hear the views though, from your sample of 1. And it would be VERY interesting to know if he voted for him or not. That border crossing sounds other-worldly to me. I don't think it would have during the cold war, but now it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't ask the guy directly what he voted.

      The trips to/in Russia are not always comfortable, but they're always very interesting. And it's a lot easier to cross the border to Sweden >:)

      Delete
  5. You know, the more I read of your Russian adventures, the more I understand how the Russian writers were/are some of the best. It is a land of such extremes--I'd have to write just to save my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Russia is a very interesting country, both the culture, present-day society and the history. Russia has never been a democracy. The country has been swinging between the extremes; the Tsars' empire, the Soviet Union, and now a quasi-democracy and super-rich powerful oligarks.

      Russian writers are great, I agree. My personal favorites are the classics, in particular Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. And this fabulous little book by Lermontov: A Hero of Our Time. It's timeless >:)

      Delete
  6. Lermontov I'm adding to the list. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails