November 4, 2012

Challenge Day 12: Biggest impact on his life


“I was 18 yo and a fairly good soccer player, said Tom. “I wasn’t very good, nothing like Messi, just fairly good.”

He paused for a while, to bring back old memories.

“It was a cold and rainy Sunday in September.  We played against one of the best teams in the league. I got a pass from the central midfielder, and advanced forward with the ball. Then there was this huge guy who came from behind. He missed the ball, but hit my leg. That was the end of my career. I spent the next 6 months with my leg plastered. ”

“You must have hated this guy who kicked you,” said Nancy.

“Yes, at first I did. But a year later, I sent him Christmas card to thank him.”

“You thanked him for destroying your soccer career?”

“Yes, because during the 6 months with my leg injured, I discovered Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. I read books about nuclear physics and quarks. I studied Riemannian geometry and the theory of relativity. I found there’s more to life than running after a ball.”

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails