July 26, 2013

Fun at work

It's summer, and it's time for fun at work. Sounds exciting, doesn't it? Sure, it is. It's not about sex or anything like that, unfortunately. All the girls are gone on vacation, and all the bosses too. No meetings, no phone calls, no mails to reply to.

July is the best time to work. Hours and days undisturbed. Time to do some real science. Just doing the mathematical analysis, with a pencil and a notebook. Great! And in the end, new ideas often end up in the official research activities of the company.

July this year was as usual, at least for the first 3 weeks. Then they called from the Moscow office.

My one-year multi-visa to Russia expires on the 24. August. It's good for another trip to Moscow in mid August. Now I'm preparing for meetings. Bye bye physics, bye bye math. Back to Powerpoint.

Whatever, I won't complain. This what they pay me to do, and the weather is warm and the sky is blue. I plan to take some vacation the next couple of weeks.

Then I'm ready for Moscow. It's a very fascinating city, and always a pleasure to visit.

Maybe I will meet Snowden at Sheremetyevo, if he's still there, in the transit area. I read in the papers that he might get permission to leave the airport. I hope it's true. There are better places to spend the time in Moscow.

(I usually scan my notes and trash the paper original. It's a convenient way to keep track of things, just a file on the computer.)

8 comments:

  1. I pin my notes to the wall. It's easier to find. But I'm finished with science, as of today. I can also pretend math doesn't exist. :)
    If you do see Snowden, get some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Math is everywhere; inside you computer and cell phone, under the hood of your car ... But since the guys who engineered these things took care of the science and math, you can pretend it doesn't exist. Nice isn't it?

      Sure' I'll take a picture of Snowden if I see him, and wish him good luck.

      Delete
  2. Well, I almost got so sad at the lack of sex, that I wasn't sure if there was any point to continuing to read. Fortunately I did and went on to fun things - no bosses (!!! doesn't' get better than that!), time spent creating, innovating and exploring (very fun!) and then a trip to Russia!

    Sounds like you have a great summer ahead. Looking forward to hearing about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I promise to come back with some hotter stuff later >;)

      Vacation now. Traveling to Berlin tomorrow. We'll see if anything interesting happens ...

      Delete
    2. Okay, holding you to that promise, CA. As for a vacation in Berlin....something is bound to happen. :) I hope you have a wonderful time!

      Delete
    3. I'm back from vacation, and we did have a great time in Berlin >:)

      Delete
  3. I'd probably complain. I'm much happier doing math and analysis than power point. Though what I really want to do is write books, so perhaps I complain anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing the math and the data analysis is definitely more interesting than the Powerpointing. That's one of the reasons I've always refused to enter the management path. I wanna stay with the technical work. It's probably not optimal from a career point of view, but I don't care. I wanna do the fun stuff >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails