December 20, 2013

Back to basics

This fall has been quite busy, somewhat too busy, I must admit. It’s all the stuff going on at work, as usual. In addition, my handyman season has lasted longer than usual.

Living in a 100-year old house is like rowing a leaky boat. You need to bail out water continuously to keep it floating. That’s OK. I’m used to it. But this fall there has been more. We have refurbished the ground floor (still going on). We have ripped out everything, and rebuild it from the core; putting in insulation in the walls and floors, installing water-borne heating, and so on.

We have hired craftsmen to do the most difficult and time consuming things, but I’ve done a lot myself too. So, I’ve been working as a scientist at day time and as a carpenter in the evenings and weekends. It’s a nice combo actually. I rest my body when doing research in the office, and I rest my brain while swinging the hammer and saw.

In fact, I enjoy it. It feels like I’m doing some real work, not just fiddling around with physics and mathematics and computers. However, it leaves too little time for reading and writing. Things are too complex right now.

I don’t believe in any gods and superheros, and I think that from the beginning, the (pre)humans were much like any other species of animals. Our mission in life was very simple; to eat, fuck and die. We were supposed to spread our genes to the next generations, and then get our bio-mass recycled.

But at some point, our brains just got too big, and we started to worry about religion and science, and stuff like that. I don’t like religion, but I’m happy with the science.  


But there’s more. There’s no end to this craziness. We shop for hardwood floors and induction cooktops, and what the hell should we do with all the old crap that we have bought at the mall over the years? At work there are company strategies and deliverables and achievements, evaluation systems and key performance indexes (so-called KPI’s). Management is pretty insane. I've developed my own management theory. More about that on a later occasion.

Right now, it feels like I wanna go back to the basics. Fortunately, there’s the Christmas vacation coming up. I don’t like the Christmas part of it, but I do like a mid-winter vacation. Tomorrow we go skiing in the mountains for a week. Great!

To whom it may concern: Merry Christmas.

I prefer to say Happy Winter Solstice >:)

(The pictures were taken some years ago, when little boy was really a little boy. He had heard the Christmas Gospel in the kindergarden, and re-told it at home, in his own way. I made the clay models while little boy directed. There were Jesus and Mary and Joseph and the Holy Kings, and little boy insisted that they played soccer. This was unknown to me, but who cares. I just made it the way he wanted)

12 comments:

  1. I'll bet Jesus played some awesome soccer. It's good for the soul, just like hammering and sawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, taking into account some of the other stuff he did (according to certain books), he probably played awesome soccer. There's a professional soccer player named Jesus Navas (playing for Manchester City), but I don't think, he claims to be the son of God >:)

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about physical work. My work is very mental, and it's hard to see the immediate results. There is something very satisfying about seeing something shape beneath your hands!

    Cute picture of the clay models. And I'd love to hear your theory of management!

    I hope you have a blast skiing - sounds like you really deserve a fun break! Happy Solstice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get an old house and you will get a new hobby and lots of physical work >:)

      I might write down my theory of management at some point. It might even get revised shortly, when we're planing new projects for the upcoming years(s). Working in a company driven by technology and science, I think it's quite strange when mangers neglect research from social sciences on e.g. how to manage and organize research. Could you imagine a science project neglecting the laws of physics?

      Skiing was OK, but we need more snow. It will come, as always. In the mean time the ski resorts have very efficient snow-making systems


      Delete
  3. There is such a great feeling of accomplishment after a day of physical labor. Glad the house projects are going well.

    Hope you had a happy Winter Solstice. :)

    Happy New Year and hope you had a blast skiing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Happy new year.

      The house project is going quite well, finished in 6-8 weeks. But then there will be new projects (basement next), so I will still get plenty of physical work, which I enjoy >:)

      Delete
  4. I love that Mary, Jesus, etc. are playing soccer! That's just priceless.
    We used to live in a 75 year old house so I know what you're talking about. I like your analogy of resting one part of you while working on the other - that's a great attitude!
    I wish you all the best in the coming new year. We celebrate the solstice - I still remember those cold, dark winters in Sweden as a child...
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply.

      We had a lot of fun making these clay models. Unfortunately, they are not very durable, and didn't last long.

      I like the cold dark winters in the north, but late winter and early spring is even better >:)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I'm in your blog list! Many, many thanks. I'm honored.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, you are. Your blog is one othe blogs I enjoy following

      Delete
  6. I find that doing housework is much the same as your woodwork - there's a rhythm in ironing and mopping the floor that is zen-like and quite soothing.

    Hope you had a great winter solstice and that 2014 is a great year for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the quiet rhythm, when you can get something done, and think about life, the universe and everything (to quote Douglas Adams) at the same time.

      The winter solstice was nice, and 2014 is good so far.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails