November 9, 2014

Sent to Siberia

Someone must have been telling lies about me. I knew I had done nothing wrong, but his morning I was sent to Siberia.

You may have recognized the opening already.  I borrowed and adapted it from The Trial by Kafka.

It’s true that I’ve done nothing wrong, as far as I know, nothing serious at least. We all do things we regret, and things we should regret. That’s the case with me too, but nothing to worry about. YOLO; that's what the kids say.

It’s also true that I’ve been sent to Siberia, by the company I work for.  I’m on my way to Irkutsk, close to the Lake Baikal.

 It’s such a long flight, so I was allowed to fly business class. Now I’m sitting in the Aeroflot lounge in the Sheremetyevo airport, waiting for my next flight. I kind of have a feeling that I’m surrounded by Russian oligarchs, people with expensive clothing and jewelry, and small dogs carried in expensive bags. Actually, many people look quite ordinary too, poor guys like me.

Whatever. The lounge is quite good. I get free food and drinks, and I can relax while reading and writing, but I wish they could turn down the volume on the TV.
  
It’s gonna be interesting to visit Siberia. I wonder if it’s very cold there now. We will see tomorrow >:)

(I haven’t been to downtown Moscow today, just waiting in transit at the airport. So I picked a picture from my collection, taken a couple of years ago, from the top of Moscow State University, one of the famous Seven Sister, built for the 800 year anniversary of Moscow. The big venue in the center of the picture is the Olympic stadium from the 1980 summer Olympics. The games were boycotted by most western countries due to the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan.)



11 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's actually quite a beautiful place. Stay warm, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks nice so far, and not much colder than at home.

      Delete
  2. I think I know why they have sent you... They need tough leaders and you're too nice, too friendly. They hope you will shape yourself up out there and learn some mental karate and come back strong and ready to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know why they have sent you... They need tough leaders and you're too nice, too friendly. They hope you will shape yourself up out there and learn some mental karate and come back strong and ready to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My niece is soon going to Siberia too. It will be interesting to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know what I think. So far it looks good. But Siberia is huge, and I will only get to see a small dot. I hope there will be time to make a short trip to Lake Baikal >:)

      Delete
  5. "Cold As Heaven" has been included in our Sites To See #411. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/11/sites-to-see-411.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay safe and have fun!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails