January 2, 2012

After ski


The last December days were short and cold. We got six days of dry white snow and good skiing. At 2pm the faint sun disappears behind the horizon. It's getting dark when the lifts close an hour later.

And then the after ski starts, with a variety of options; pubs and bars with dance music, discotheques and live dinner shows.

I rather relax in the cabin with a warm lingonberry or cloudberry drink and a good book. This Christmas vacation, I finished two:

The Hypnotist. Quite an original story with some unexpected twists, from the shelf of Scandinavian crime, written by Alexander and Alexandra Ahndoril under the pseudonym of Lars Kepler.

Life Short, Rytkönen Long. Absurdism from Finnland by Arto Paasilinna. The book wasn't bad, some really funny moments, but didn't match The Son of the Thunder God, I think.

That's my after ski >:)

I took the picture above on a cold and clear day on the slopes this Christmas. The low sun is flaming in the frozen forest, before disappearing behind the horizon.

12 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrr. Too cold for me. But you seem to always love it! So glad you got some good skiing in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, C. I've read two books recently too, all about Jane Austen. One is more Christian like, not my cup of tea but the other was more interesting, talked about the 19th century. People then don't like to eat vegetable etc. And without electricity, they plan their day according to the sun.

    The Spinster’s Vow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably chill out in the cabin as well. Glad you had a good time and good skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got in some good skiing!
    Hot tub, a cocktail, and a book is my preferred apres-ski venue.

    Skiing hasn't been too great in Pennsylvania yet. I hope the cold weather and fresh snow rolls in before my family's trip to the Poconos in mid-January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture...although a little cold for me! Glad you had some good reads and good skis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo!! So calm and peaceful. We had a mixed weather bag - some thunderstorms, some fairly warm days (but nothing as hot as early December, thankfully) and some chilly nights (surprising!) Didn't get much reading in, but did finish an interesting utopian fantasy called THE KIN OF ATA ARE WAITING FOR YOU. Only another 49 books to go for me to finish my Goodreads 2012 reading challenge! :)

    And Happy New Year to you and your family!
    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, gorgeous photo! I'm longing for snow... oh when, oh when shall we see her?! I mean, lots of her.

    I'm with you--a book and a drink by the fire apres ski. At one time, there were the discos, but that was long, long ago. ;)

    Happy 2012 and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brr.. too cold for me! I'd stay in front of the fire. Lovely photo.

    I came over from Alex's blog and am your newest follower. Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Congrats on the new stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your after ski plan sounds good to me, too. I might want to do it in a hot tub, but a glass of wine and a good book is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colene: With proper clothing it's not cold at all

    Enid: Can you still find books about Jane Austen that you haven't read? Fortunately I didn't live before electricity. I'm very bad at getting up early in the morning, and always stay up way too late.

    Alex: Maybe we're getting too old.

    Dianne: I hope the Pennsylvania snow will fall in due time >:)

    Elizabeth: Thanks. Good reads and good skiing make a perfect vacation for me >:)

    Judy: Thanks. You still have 51 weeks left, so I'm sure you'll get through your 49 books before the end of the year

    Jayne: Thanks. Same with me; disco belong to the past.

    Nicole: Nice to meet you. Thank you for following >:)

    Lydia: Thanks.

    Hart: We don't have a hot tub, but we do have a sauna; nice place to relax after a day on the slopes >:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HappY New Year!
    And wow! You did skiing? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails