June 10, 2013

Breaking my thumb with a hammer


You have probably seen these gangster movies where they break people's fingers with a hammer, to make them reveal or confess something.

A few days ago I tried this, on myself.

Did I confess? No, not at all. But I swore a little bit, I admit.

It happened by accident, of course. I was doing my handyman stuff in the attic. Then I hit my left thumb with the hammer. And I hit hard, damned hard.

As a torture method, I think it’s over rated.

It wasn't that painful, not in the beginning. But after a couple of days it was. I think I've broken the outermost part of my thumb. Something has come loose in there.

I don’t want to waste my time waiting in the line in the hospital, so I tried to take care of this myself. After all it’s just a minor injury, and I’m supposed to be a handyman.

I fixed it with a nail and some tape. No problem.

It’s like you don’t need to call a mathematician to do some simple calculus >:)


(That’s a picture of my thumb, after I did my self-medic-treatment.)

13 comments:

  1. Eeek! and ouch!

    Well, you made me think about torture in a new way - quick and long-term. For which, I sort of thank you....I think. And for the record, I would need to call a mathematician for simple calculus :p

    I hope you heal quickly and well! And may we all be careful with hammers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The math metaphor was just from the top of my head, since I'm doing this kind of tings every day. I'm more careful with the hammer now, in particular because I don't want to hit my injured finger another time >:)

      Delete
    2. Ouch, ouch! Yes, please be careful! :)

      Delete
  2. Call me a wimp, but I believe I would have waited it out at the doctor's office. I like it when things don't rattle around inside my thumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just thumb, and it's broken outside of the outermost joint, so noting to worry about. Fortunately, it was my left hand, the one I'm not very good with >:)

      Delete
  3. thumbs are pretty important. much more so than a finger. I think I'd have sought medical attention myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how it develops. Probably I'll be fine. in case of trouble, I will probably see a doctor, or something like that >:)

      Delete
  4. Ow. Sounded really painful! Just promise not to jab yourself with that pointy nail and give yourself tetanus. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was flying to a meeting today, so I've taken out the nail, to make sure I get trough the security check

      Delete
  5. Broken bones? Not fun. Have had a few, though I'm with you: it's got to be REALLY BAD before I step foot in a hospital or doctor's office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not fun, but no big issue. I try to avoid going to the hospital/doctor if I can. There are many advantages with the public health care system that we have, but a major drawback is the queues

      Delete
  6. OUCH! Sounds horrid. I've broken many bones, and required surgery for most of them. When I do something, I do it right ;-)
    I hope that heals soon and correctly. May I suggest a popsicle stick or something longer which goes beyond the wrist to immobilize it for at least a week? Broken bones take two weeks to set, and then another four or so to completely heal. If it moves around too much at the beginning, it will heal wrong. Just Dr. Tina's advice from experience...
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seams like it's healing quite well. Still I haven't visited the doctor, and no plans to do so >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails