January 31, 2010

The sun is coming back to the North


I’m going back to the North, again, flying Six Flags Airlines, as usual. I’m waiting in the airport. The plane is three hours delayed, technical problems. It will be a long night. Expected take-off is at midnight, then one hour and forty minutes flight. Not much to do about it, just sit and wait. I’m going 200 km (130 miles) North of the polar circle. Take a walk around the globe at that latitude, what places do you find? Point Hope, Inuvik, King William Island, Baffin Island, Harstad, Narvik, Kautokeino, Kiruna, Murmansk, Snezhnogorsk, Norilsk, Belaya Gora, Chersky. One of these places is my destination. I’m coming back to the town where my friend Foggy lives. The sun is coming back too, after eight weeks of polar darkness; first shining only on the mountain tops, later appearing above the horizon. The days are getting longer, rapidly, six minutes more daylight every day, almost an hour in a week. It’s amazing. Like a woman spreading her thighs, to reveal her delights; you know what you will see, what you will get, but still so exciting, so arousing, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails