January 22, 2010

Review of the new Gorgoroth album


A few weeks ago, I went down to the local metal store, and bought the new Gorgoroth album "Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt". This is the band's first studio album in three years, the first since the lawsuit on the legal rights to the band name, and the following change of line up. The last three Gorgoroth albums have been, not bad, but kind of average, nothing special to it. Therefore, I was not sure what to expect this time.

The new album was a great positive surprise, a collection of 9 excellent songs. Infernus, the founder of the band, and the only remaining original band member, is back in charge as the main song writer. The musical style is melodic, sometimes doomy, black metal, carried by laid-back catchy guitar lines, and lazy drumming, frequently bursting out in clean blast beats. The grim-vocal by Pest is steady, but lacking some of the desperate feeling from previous recordings. As usual, Gorgoroth does not provide writtten lyrics on the cover. Sharp ears are neeeded to get all the text lines.

This is definitely the best Gorgoroth album since the classical albums from the 90’s; “Pentagram” (1994), “Antichrist” (1996) and “Under the Sign of Hell" (1997). Here is my favorite song from the new album (YouTube link), the title is, very suitably, “Rebirth".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0h-qi9HQQ

4 comments:

  1. I like that you analyzed what you liked about this band and the album. I don't listen to heavy or dark metal, so it's interesting to read your response to the music.

    By the way, I gave you the Blogging Buddies award today - http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/2010/01/blogging-awards.html

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot for your nice feed back and the BB award, really appreciated that.

    I guess metal-heads are a special kind. When it comes to extreme metal (black, death, doom metal), people tend to be polarized; you either love it or hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More a punk/grunge/alt rock type myself....but I can appreciate dark metal sometimes...just have to be in the mood x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like punk and grunge too, in particular The Clash and Nirvana, but for some reason, I tend to forget about it. I think you're right; have to be in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails