April 22, 2011

Frozen streams


For more than ten winters I have spent most of my free time in alpine skiing resorts. That’s where my boys want to be, that’s the kind of skiing they love; alpine skiing, freestyle and powder skiing.

I enjoy it too, of course. But I also like to go cross-country skiing, and I miss that.

Little boy is 10 yo now, and old enough to survive on the slopes by himself. Today he was skiing with a buddy. For safety, I tell him to use gondolas rather than chair lifts as far as possible. The T-hook surface lifts are no problem.

My old lady and I put on our cross-country skis and headed into the quiet and peaceful backcountry. It was mild temperatures and no wind. The snow was good above timberline. We made a 15 km (10 miles) round trip, and stopped half way to eat our lunch packets.

(Late in April the frozen streams start to break up. Crossing the streams can be challenging at this time of the year. Skis make it easier, since the body weight is distributed over a larger area (giving smaller pressure on the ice, if you want to think physics). We skied pretty fast across the stream, without stopping, and didn’t get wet. I turned around and took the picture above. I have no idea who the people are.)

2 comments:

  1. We have a few areas we can cross country ski. We used to backpack and camp out for a few nights at a time. Full moon camping was pure magic. It was the one thing I missed hugely when I had kids. I craved the silence and beauty, still miss it; my knees are stuffed so it won't happen again. Hope you and Mrs CaH had a lovely time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue: Thanks. Yes, we had a great time >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails