July 10, 2011

Biscuit poker



It’s school’s summer vacation, but parents are still at work, at least we are.

Therefore, little boy spent a week in our family cabin in the mountains, with his grand parents. This weekend we drove up to the mountains, to pick him up and bring him back to town.

When I met him, I asked if he had a good time.

"Yes, we've been on long hikes in the mountains. I found a reindeer antler, and carried it myself, for two hours, back to the cabin."
"Good. We can keep it here, right? We don't need to bring it home?"

And then it was all the regular stuff about fishing, bow shooting, rowing on the lake, rock climbing, tree climbing, making a slingshot from a birch branch, and so on.

Finally, he said:

"Grandpa taught me how to play poker."
"Great. You’re 10 yo, so it’s about time you learn it."
"We only played with biscuits."
"Did you win?"
"I got all the biscuits in the end."

Grandpa’s summer camp is always a cool place to be >:)

(In the picture is little boy climbing an old pine tree outside the cabin. The pines are 2-300 years old and grow very slowly in the mountain climate. I climbed the same trees many years ago, and still do, sometimes.)

8 comments:

  1. At least they weren't playing for peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a super cool vacation with grandpa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad taught me poker, but I'm useless. He said he could read my face everytime. Maybe if I'd played for biscuits, I would've taken the game more seriously!!

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so different from the summer of a city girl. I think we spent most of our time in shopping centres in the summer.

    Chemical Fusion

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful! I love sending my kids with their grandparents. I believe that bond they develop is necessary and good for them. If something were to happen to me or my husband (God forbid), I draw comfort from knowing that my kids and their grandparents have a great relationship.

    They also do such fun things together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer vacation in the mountains is great. Little boy is a city boy, grown up with asfalt (and snow). Good for him to get a break in the mountains.

    I enjoyed playing ten-cent poker with friends in school, but I'm not much of a gambler anymore. I appreciate that someone takes action, and teach my kids poker >:)

    They probably saved the peanuts (and the chocolate) for the hikes >:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect place for a boy. And a girl, if you have one like my little sprite. I remember when my son first learned how to play poker--damn did he clean up. He likes it a little too much now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails