July 10, 2011

How to eat caviar


Murmansk has one of the worlds richest food sources at the door step. The arctic waters are cold and sometimes hostile, but full of fish, shrimps and crabs. And then there is the salomon and the sea trout, commuting between the sea and the great rivers of the Kola Peninsula.

No wonder; the food in Murmansk is excellent, if you choose from the sea-food side of the menu. A good Russian beer makes the meal complete, for instance Sibirskaya Korona or Baltika No 8.

When I was in Murmansk last week, my Russian colleague gave me a big jar of Russian caviar

"Gift for you; local caviar."

Great. I appreciated this very much. A big jar of fresh Russian caviar; coarse orange fish eggs, each one is the size of a decent pearl.

But now I have this challenge; I have to eat all the caviar before it gets contaminated. I've tried a few varieties, all of them tasting very good:

o Bread with butter and a thick layer of caviar, and a touch of mayonnaise (for breakfast).
o Boiled egg with caviar (for lunch).
o Gratinated salomon with potatoes and caviar topping (for dinner).

What else? Does anyone out there have some good recipes involving caviar?

(That's my jar of caviar, and my breakfast, shot with the cell phone camera; bread with butter, caviar and mayonnaise.)

11 comments:

  1. Umm... no. Sorry, think I will pass on the caviar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saveur.com has some great caviar recipes, like caviar w/blinis, pork belly, asparagus... You could even make caviar pancakes. I love caviar. I'd make caviar ice cream. Or a dip w/cream cheese, or a pizza. Or throw some in a shot of vodka. Though I think caviar is best over seafood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know it's funny, I've only tried caviar once, even when given the opportunity, I usually pass ....but your post makes me want to give it a shot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. No, I don't have any caviar suggestions. I may have some ideas for oysters though if you were interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex: The caviar is very good, when you get used to the texture of it

    Jayne: thanks for your suggestions. I will check out that web site. I also think the caviar is best with sea food.

    Alexander: Try it next time you get the chance.

    id: Yes, I'm very interested in ideas for oysters >;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cavier, like sushi and lentils, will never pass my lips...so no recipe suggestions from me, I'm afraid. Hope you enjoyed it anyway.

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had caviar once as a young child and it was not a good experience. I'm reluctant to try again. I'm glad you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I wish I had a recipe. Caviar's on my list of must-taste things, but I've never had the chance. At least I'll know what it looks like now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to admit I've never acquired a taste for cavier or mayonaisse. Guess I like a boring ol' bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caviar! Yum. Brioche on toast with creme fraiche and caviar. Deviled eggs with caviar. Caviar and sushi rice with nori. You'll need to send me a jar of that lovely stuff. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy: Yes, I did >:)

    Clarissa: Maybe you should try again? Children's and adult's tastes are quite different.

    Sheila: Try it if you get the chance.

    Stephen: Honey Nut Cheerios can be good sometimes too.

    Mer: I'll send you a jar of caviar if you give me some oyster in return >;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails