July 7, 2011

Four hours in a five-star bed


My mission in Murmansk is completed. Goodbye to the light summer nights and the midnight sun, at least for now (I might be back next week).

Today was a good day, and everything was as we hoped. We worked till 6 o'clock, and then went to a German bier stube to eat and celebrate.

Good food, good beer, and there was vodka of course. This is Russia. I only had a very very small amount, just tasting, to be polite. I'm here to work, not to get drunk.

Before we left Murmansk,my Russian colleague gave me a big box of local caviar, salomon caviar from the Kola Peninsula. I really appreciate that.

We took a late plane back to Moscow, and arrived half an hour past midnight. The driver was waiting for me, to take me to the hotel. We got stuck in traffic jam, car accident, road work, more road work, another accident.

Moscow never sleeps. This city is crazy!

I came to the hotel at 3 am. It's a great five-star Marriot hotel. It's a pity that I won't get the time to enjoy it. I have to get up at 7 to make it to our next appointment.

Time to go to bed. Then I get four hours in my five-star bed >:)

(A German bier stube in Russia. The sign on the wall says "guten morgen" in Cyrillic letters. It's German for good morning.)

6 comments:

  1. Better than eight hours in a two star though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex: The Russians are proud of their country and always want to show the best they have to foreigners. I guess that's why they put me in 5-star hotels. I'm not using the extra luxury anyway, so I'm happy with 3 or 4 stars as well. Most important is free WiFi.

    Matthew: Good morning to you too, or maybe I should say good afternoon >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I trust that it was a comfy sleep? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayne: It was a short but comfy sleep. Just a pity I was alone >;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better than sleeping in the taxi, I suppose. :)

    Beer, vodka, and caviar. You are killing me. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails