September 23, 2011

Lone Star


I've been in the Lone Star State for almost a week now, for a geophysics conference in San Antonio. I have talked to some smart people, and attended many interesting presentations. My talk was on Wednesday, and it went quite well.

San Antonio is one of the American cities that I really like. Every night I've been enjoying the bars and restaurants on the Riverwalk together with friends. The Mexican food is great, and the beers too. Negra Modelo became my favorite.

It's been nice and sunny weather, maybe a little bit hot, but that's fine. I'll get plenty of cold and snowy days in the next few months.

It's six years since my last trip to America, and exactly ten years and one week since my last visit to San Antonio, in September 2001. I was kind of a strange feeling to be back in the same conference center where we watched the acts of terror in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania live on CNN, and no one cared about the conference.

Now I'm ready to go home. I've just checked out of the hotel, and wait for the airport shuttle.

My throat is a little bit sore. I got infected by something on the flight from Europe to America. It's hard to avoid on these intercontinental flights. The air conditioning system on the plane effectively circulates the world's complete collection of nasty bacteria and viruses.

Don't worry, it doesn't bother me much. I've had a great time in Texas >:)

(The picture above is from the Riverwalk. It's about the only picture I got to take in San Antonio. It's a shame, I know, but I was busy at the conference all day, and it was dark when I was out to enjoy San Antonio)

8 comments:

  1. Glad you got to return to our country! Although I'm sure you are anxious for home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo close to me. I hope you waved in my direction. (But to be honest, Texas can be a little confusing to those who don't live here. It's such a big state, and we have so many great cities, it's hard to keep up.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was in Austin in May and I think those are the only two cities in Texas I like much... I mean the only other one I've spent time in is Dallas, which I really didn't like, but from what I've heard. Hope you get better, rather than worse before you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't been to Lone Star yet. Hope you recover soon. I wonder if someone can invent a gadget to prevent this kind of virus from circulating.

    Every Savage Can Reproduce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texas! I LOVE Texas (must be all those cowboy books I read as a teenager) Hope your virus disintegrates on the return flight!

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex: I had a great week in America, and made it safe back home >:)

    Nessa: Texas is nice. I've been driving around to various places before, but didn't get the time to do it this time

    Hart: San Antonio and Austin are my Texas favorites too. Also, I have enjoyed some of the small towns on previous visits, such as the "German" town Fredericksburg. Not very fond of Houston. Never been to Dallas.

    Enid: Someone should write an antivirus-app for iPhone >:)

    Judy: I used to read a lot of cowboy books too. Quite entertaining. Maybe not high-end literature, but more important is that cowboy books learnt me to appreciate books in general.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in San Antonio about 3 years ago and had a blast on the Riverwalk. It was incredibly hot but no one minded or noticed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been to San Antonio only once and it was a wonderful time. The Riverwalk is beautiful but i remember being a little disappointed by The Alamo. Oh, so that's The Alamo. I'm don't really remember what I was expecting, obviously not what I saw!

    Hope you're feeling better. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails