December 1, 2011

Propaganda


I have a flight tomorrow morning at 6am. Terrible; I have to get up at 4.

I'm going to Qatar. Very interesting; it's my first visit to the Arab world (except a day on the beach in Tunis, which doesn't really count).

I'm going to a pretty big conference. It's not the first time. I've been to many conferences before, in Europe and America.

However, this time is special. BigOil (that's my company) has a stand in the exhibition hall, and then the propaganda department gets involved. They want BigOil to appear better and prettier than HugeOil and MonsterOil and DirtyOil and HorrorOil.

Some days ago I got a mail with various information, including this: Dresscode is black suit, white shirt and tie.

What the Hell; I never wear a tie, and I only have black shirts.

It's only the guys who work in finance and law who wear suit and tie at work. I'm working with technical stuff and science. We always dress like vagabonds.

So what should I do? I need to run to some store to buy a couple of white shirt. If they want me to wear a tie, they should give me one.

My presentation is next Tuesday. I have plenty of time to get properly dressed >:)

(I downloaded the picture above from the Internet. It's the famous national-romantic painting by Tiedemann and Gude. That's the way they want us to appear, I guess)

11 comments:

  1. What would happen if you did suit, black shirt, and tie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. science guys should not be subjected to forced fashion. who do i call to complain about this? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex: I'm gonna find out; black shirt and no tie as usual

    id: I agree. Call me, and thrn we can complain it together >;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, science & formal attire is like pairing up chalk & cheese. Make a stand Cold, or at least wear white pants black shirt and piano tie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your conference! hope you get lots of visitors to BigOil's stand and I'm sure that your presentation will go very well!

    And yes, I agree, only finance and lawyers (husband is both - guess how many ties he's got in his cupboard - and he does look good in them!!!) wear suits & ties. Brother-in-law (he's in mining) only wears a tie if he absolutely can't avoid it!

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visualising the tie chocking you and you not looking quite as suave as they're expecting, then they'll agree than less formal attire is much more suited to techie science blokes! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why are you worried? You have black shirts. Wear one of your wife's scarfs for a tie and buy a white suit. If they say it was supposed to be black suit/white shirt, tell them you're dyslexic and they should be happy you atleast got the right colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your conference, white shirt! And take some photos of yourself in suit for us. Is it going to be hot in Qatar? I hope you enjoy the sun and sand.

    My Darcy Vibrates…

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe: There are all kinds of people from all over the world, dressed in western suits and Arab and Indian outfits, women in hijab and niqab, Christians, Hindi and Muslims. I guess they can accommodate a Satanist in black shirt as well >;)

    Judy: Yes, I'm enjoying the conference. My talk went well today. Couldn't avoid the tie today, but tomorrow it's back to normal >:)

    Sue: That's what I hope too. In the meantime, I tie it loosely.

    Helen: That's a suggestion. They would probably believe it was a ethnic/religious outfit from the north.

    Enid: Yes, I enjoy it, in a black shirt. Maybe I'll wear one of the white ones. I plan to take a few hours of sightseeing in the morning,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting reading your posts about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz: Thanks. Great if you enjoy it >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails