February 29, 2012

Apps


I'm working with science and technology every day. Therefore I'm not very interested in playing with gadgets outside office hours.

I prefer to spend my free time reading, writing and skiing.

Yesterday I made a great leap forward: I got my first smart phone. Not because I'm interested in smart phones, but simply because people expect me to read mail when I'm out travelling. There have been some problems and misunderstandings when I didn't (like messing up time and place for drivers to pick me up in Moscow, not a good thing to do).

So, now I've got a brand new HTC phone (that's what they give us at work). And where do I go to learn how to use it?

Answer: Ask the kids. They have a natural feel for how these things work (older boy has an iPhone4S; guess who paid for it).

The kids taught me how to download apps from the Android Market. There are thousands of apps, for doing all kinds of rediculous and useless things.

So far, I've downloaded one app: Kindle Reader for HTC >:)

(That's a picture of my new phone, downloaded from the HTC homepage. I vivited their site to get the user manual on a pdf)

5 comments:

  1. I still don't own a cell phone! However, my iPad is LOADED with apps. it becomes addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the kindle app on my HTC Droid, too, but I never get to use it. My two-year-old grandson is always commandeering my phone to play Angry Birds. Sometimes he listens to music, too, which isn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex: No cell phone; that's cool, and impressive. I used to have the same attitude some 10 years ago. Then I tried to avoid the smart phones, but had to give up.

    Nessa: I tried the Kindle today, with a free Dostoyevsky book from amazon.com; works fine. Thanks for reminding me about the music. I need to upload some black metal on my phone before going skiing in the weekend >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a droid smartphone, and the kids did teach me how to use it, but I didn't keep it for very long. It just didn't seem intuitive to me. I switched to the iPhone4 and for some reason, I don't know why, it's so much easier for me to use. Careful though, smartphones make it a lot harder to unplug--we can become slaves to this kind of technology. Or are we already? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne: When it comes to cell phones, I take whatever they give me at work. I have to be careful with the smart phone, don't want to be online and available all the time. I've turned off the automatic updates of the mail box >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails