April 10, 2012

New winter


The last weeks of March were warm and rainy. Then came the Easter holidays with cold weather and snow. Lots of snow.

A new winter starting. Great!

We got some sunny days when the best thing to do was skiing in the backcountry. Alone in the wilderness, the tracks from our own skis where the only signs of human presence.

But most of the time tons of powder was falling from the sky. It's not often we get such large ammounts of dry snow in April. Little boy and I named it the Judas powder, in honor of the Easter jerk.

I borrowed older boy's wide rocker skis. We got a great time of off-piste skiing. Little boy enjoys jumping off cliffs (I'm too old for that). We're not speaking of very high cliffs, just 4-5 m (12-15 feet). No problem with a soft and steep landing beneath.

Once he lost a ski in the landing. It was buried under a foot of snow. We searched and dug for it, and it took us almost an hour to find it.

You see, that's the Judas powder >:)

Tomorrow I'm off to Moscow again. No powder I hope. It's just gonna mess up the traffic.

(The picture is from a trip on crosscountry skis in the mountains.)

6 comments:

  1. Better you than me for the repeat winter, but I suppose I'd be less grudging on the matter if I could spend it skiing. Where I live, it is just an obstacle to getting around and a flower killer to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the best way to deal with our long winter is to enjoy it; good skiing, and no grass to cut >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weather forecast has been crazy, but the actual weather has been pretty and calm. Just a few tornadoes, nothing horrible like snow. ;)
    Have a good time in Moscow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few tornados? You're pretty cool. I find your tornados very scary

      I'm having a good time in Moscow. Just finsihed a long workday. Now I'm going out to find a restaurant with some good Uzbek food >:)

      Delete
  4. I just loved the idea of a New Winter. Glad you found that ski!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is the best time of the year, I think >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails