April 17, 2012

Piligrim and pizza


It was a beautiful day in the north. Blue sky, sunny and no wind. I got off the plane and met with the driver. We got through the three checkpoints, filling out forms, checking passport and visa, and passport again.

It's always a somewhat stressing procedure. Something wrong? No. It's like a relief when you hear the sound of the passport being stamped by the officer behind the counter.

Then, we were on the way to Murmansk, about four hours drive, with Russian pop music from Radio Vania. We passed Nikel, which almost looked cozy today, and then Zapolyarny, Pechenga and Sputnik, where the road was incredibly bad; bumpy gravel road for some kilometers.

We passed through beautiful arctic landscapes. Not spectacular like the Colorado Rockies or the Swiss Alps, just overwhelming by its endlessness. Huge boulders and moraines, left behind by the glaciers that carved the landscape. Wide valleys and low and wavy hills, covered by snow and scattered birches. There are no leaves on the trees yet. Too early in the spring. It's still a month or more till the trees become green.

Finally, we passed the bridge across the fjord, and entered Murmansk, the world's largest city north of the Arctic Circle. The population is about 300.000, down from 500.000 in the Soviet days.

I checked into the hotel, and then went to the cafe to get something to eat. Irina was behind the counter, as usual. Black hair, red lips, white waitress-shirt with a red scarf. She's a chubby and cute girl. Always smiling, though she's working day and night for a salary which is just a fraction of mine. Life is not fair, and will never be.

I ordered something they called pizza, and a dark beer. Piligrim, local beer from Murmansk. The full name is “Piligrim Nord Svetloye”, according to the text on the bottle. Bad pizza, good beer. Very good beer. One of my favorites.

And I left quite some tips for Irina when I left. I think she deserves it >:)

(Some pictures I took today: An old mine in the hillside right outside Nikel. View of Murmansk from my hotel; note the Stalinist concrete blocks in the suburb on the hill; still decorated with old communist symbols,as you can see when you get close. A bottle of Piligrim dark beer on my table in the cafe, still waiting for the so-called pizza, and Irina behind the bar, counting today's income in the cashier machine.)

13 comments:

  1. Great Photo. You are wise as well as kind to tip well, especially if you think she'll wait on you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I bet she's still there next time I visit >:)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking us along on your trip. (I'd definitely never get there otherwise, unfortunately.)

    I'm glad you gave Irina a good tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's probably not a place you wanna go for vacation. My trip is about to end. I just survived a 4-hour drive to the border, with Russian pop music on Radio Vania >:)

      Delete
  3. Your blog makes me feel as though I'm right there with you. Great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not very healthy food but I guess the beer compensated for everything. Life's not fair, so very true.

    My Darcy Vibrates…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had to correct some typos ... >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you mess up pizza??

    At least the beer was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you wanna make bad pizza I recommend the following: Pre-baked crust from the fridge. Only canned bell-pepper for topping. Some cheese, to make it look like pizza >:)))

      Delete
  7. Nikel almost looked cozy? Oh my. Cold, this post is a visual feast. The imagery is wonderful. Makes me want to fly there right now.

    Good beer is more important than good pizza in my book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing as beautiful as the north when the weather is good.

      Looking forward to you book >;)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails