April 15, 2012

Russian break


The pace is high right now. The last three weeks I've only spent four nights in my own house.

I returned safely from Moscow on Friday 13th. Tried to book a seat in row 13, but it wasn't available.

Then I went straight to the mountains with the kids for the weekend. Nice weather, good skiing. Can't miss the last three weeks of this season.

Tomorrow I'm going to Russia again, to Murmansk this time. I'm not at all looking forward to the four-hour drive across the tundra.

Lots of traveling, but I don't complain, because most of the time I've been out skiing. And next weekend we're returning to the mountains >:)

(I took the picture above this weekend. Good snow and nice weather, a perfect day for taking the gondola to the top of the mountain. The top station carries the memories of recent blizzards.)

6 comments:

  1. Nice try with row 13. Well, next year everyday will have a 13 in it and you can eat your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pace is high right now, too, but only for a week until my assistant gets back to work. I hope you have a safe trip. Four hours on the tundra is four hours too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First part of the trip is a two-hour flight up north; take off in 20 minutes. I appreciate the free WiFi in the airport.

      The tundra is somewhat monotonous (did I spell that word correctly), big and beautiful nature, small and ugly towns, somewhat boring in the long run.

      Hope you get some relaxing days when your partner returns >:)

      Delete
  3. I'd be interested to hear about Murmansk--it's one of those cities that doesn't get much press, at least not in the US... you hear about St. Petersberg (where I'd LOVE to go), Moscow, Kiev... and really none of the other places...

    Glad you are getting your skiing in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. It's mostly about Moscow and St Petersburg in the press, and the crazy Ukrainian regime in Kiev; the trials and imprisonment of Yulia Tymoshenko. Also, Sochi will be better known in the west, since they're hosting the 2014 Winter Olympics

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails