June 27, 2012

Destiny of a ski dad

It's summer and it's vacation. We could have been on the beach. We could have been down south in the warm sun.

But we have our habits. Guess what we do. We go to the snow. Same procedure as every year. In the first week of the school's summer vacation, we go skiing on a glacier in the mountains. We've done this for eight years in row now. No training camp and no races. Just vacation, and skiing for fun.

Yesterday was foggy and white-out, but good skiing. Today we had a nice sunny day with four inches of fresh powder and great skiing. Tomorrow we get who-knows-what; probably the oposite of what the weather forecast says. The high mountains and glaciers are unpredictable. Anyway, I hope night temperatures go below freezing.

Then skiing will be good. After a day of skiing, we go back to camping down in the valley. We barbeque, skateboard and play football (soccer), and we watch the Euro2012 games in TV.

Yesterday there was no TV-football, so we went for a historic walk around the camping. We visited the 12-century stave church, and passed by a farm from medieval times. Finally, we stopped by the house (more like a log cabin) of the author Tor Jonsson, who ended his life at the age of 35 yo.

Something for the body in the morning, something for the brain in the evening. That's a nice combo.



We've got six months of snow and winter. Why do we spend the short summer in the snow? Because the kids want it like this.

I could think of better ways to spend my summer vacation, no doubt.

America has soccer moms, and Canada has hockey moms. Winterland has ski dads, and I'm one of them. I enjoy skiing a lot, and I gave the kids the chance to get hooked on it. So here I am, stuck in the snow. It's my own fault.

It's the destiny of a ski dad >:)

(I took the top picture at the glacier today. It's the best day we've had so far. The 2nd and 3rd picture are from yesterday's historic walk near the camping.)

5 comments:

  1. It's hot and humid here today. I'd rather have a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot and humid is unknown in Winterland. I've been to Houston and New Orleans a few times, but think I prefer to stay with the snow

      Delete
  2. Soccer moms can get a kind of crazy mob-mentality sometimes. It's best not to cross them. I steer clear altogether.
    Today, I heard the air conditioner kick on at five a.m. Before I awoke, I dreamed of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for warning me. I will be careful with the soccer moms. Ski dads can be crazy too, but I try to stay sane. We're just having fun in the snow >:)

      Delete
    2. and dreaming of snow; I think little boy does every night

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails