June 3, 2012

Summer in Winterland

It’s June, and there are signs of summer. The trees are dressed in green leaves. I have cut the grass once already.

Last Sunday, we had a nice and warm day. Little boy and I biked to town in shorts and T-shirt to buy ice cream.

Yesterday it was snowing.

Today I’m wearing wool socks.

It’s summer in Winterland.

Summer in the north doesn’t mean it’s warm. It just means it’s light all the time.

The light summers are addictive (and the dark winters too). When you’re used to living in the north, you won’t consider living anywhere else, at least not for a long time.

The nature of the north is like a chubby woman, shaved by the cold and harsh winters, and then in the spring her fur grows back, just as it should, just where it should, leaving the highest mountains bare >:)

 (I took the picture above on a late summer night about a year ago, when I walked across the old town bridge on the way back home from a late night in town.)

10 comments:

  1. That picture is gorgeous! Wow, those changes in weather would give me whiplash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We all have whiplash over here >:)))

      Delete
  2. Great photography, as always!

    It doesn't sound much like summer to me. :) Although, when the days get close to 100 F here, I might trade with you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is summer, the northern way. Just tell we when youære ready to trade some heat >:)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photo!

    I spent two months in Sweden years ago (December/January) and I'll never forget the opposite: how there was, like, two hours of daylight each day. I'll take the long days of sunlight! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, the dark winter is the price we pay for the light summer, and it's worth it >:)

      Delete
  4. Wow, lovely! That's amazing about the north living. I'll have to take your word for it, but it would be something amazing to experience! Glad you're enjoying the crazy weather!(or normal weather for you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is quite normal, and we're used to it. When you get your book published, you should take a promo-tour up to the north >;)

      Delete
  5. Wow, always light! I went to the NWT in Canada during the summer and it was light out all day and all night as well. It took getting used to. People put foil on their windows to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just wet here, neither hot nor cold... What a lovely description you give.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails