June 6, 2012

Venus and Satan

This morning there was this rare astronomical event; a Venus passage, where Venus passes in front of the sun. I happened between midnight and 6 am, and we were in a perfect location to watch it.

The public broadcasting was sending live all the time (these long and slow broadcast is one of the things I like about public broadcasting).

But I wanted to see it live, with my own eyes. I enjoy watching astronomical events; last time was the eclipse of the Sun in 2008.

So, I set my alarm clock for 3am. That’s about the time of sunrise in June. I grabbed a piece of over-exposed film (the kind of stuff we used before DC cameras), for eye protection, and then walked up to our 17th-century fortress (a 5-minute walk). The fortress was built to have a good view, of attacking enemies and sunsets and Venus passages. A perfect place to watch the event.

Unfortunately, it was partly cloudy, and the sun was low. I didn’t see much, but at least I got a glimpse of that black little spot moving very slowly across the face of the Sun. Very interesting.

And when I walked back home about 5am, it all became clear to me; the Grand Conspiracy.

Venus is not only a planet, but she’s also the God of love in Roman mythology. When God (the Trinity) conquered the world, she got offended and teamed up with Satan to get revenge.

Today is the 6th of June, the day Satan was born. And there’s more, it’s 6/6/12 which equals 6/6/6*2. Do you see the pattern here? The number of the beast, and the 2 for Venus’ and Satan’s engagement.

The Venus passage was her spectacular present to Satan on his birthday! Pretty scary, isn’t it?

We may argue that the Venus passage yesterday is a consequence of us happening to observe the Sun and Venus from our Earth. Every day there is some point in space with a Venus passage.

However, keep in mind that both Gods (all of them) and Satan exist only in the imagination of man living on Earth >:)

(I borrowed the picture above from the Internet, since I don't have a proper camera to photograph this myself.)

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Today we have sunrise at 3:13am and sunset at 11:23pm. The night is short in the summer. Very nice >:)

      Delete
  2. It was cloudy here, too. And my daughter was crushed. We watched the NASA livecast on the web, instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sad to miss such a cool event for the kid. I didn't bother to wake up little boy at 3am when I saw that we would only get a few glimpses of Venus. Our public broadcasting was sending live all night from a location north of the arctic circle, where the last sunrise was in May and the next sunset is late July. They had blue sky and a perfect view all night.

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm glad you pit that last part in. I was starting to think I didn't know you at all!
    Sunrise at 3am? I'm not sure I'd like that one bit. I am a bit of a night owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, Nessa >;)

      I'm a night owl too, and we're living in a great place for night owls. At this time of the year it hardly gets dark at all.

      Delete
  4. What a cool picture. It was too cloudy here to see anything. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a cool picture. Looks like an orange. It's probably taken by professionals, with telescope lenses and all kinds of filter. I found the picture on an astronomy site on the Internet.

      It's a pity that these clouds came by. It was our last chance to see a Venus passage; the next one is in more than 100 years

      Delete
  5. We weren't in the viewing path, but I followed the event with much (astrological) excitement - such an important transit and such an amazing event.

    Friends have just come back from a Nordic cruise - said they really battled with the l-o-n-g days and going to bed in the light and getting up in the light. I think I'd love those long days!

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the Venus passage more from an astrophysics point of view (I studied some astro-physics, but I realized that elementary-particle physics is more fun, and chose the particles for my specialization). I'm a scientist, so astrology is not really on my menu.

      I'm sure you would have enjoyed the light nordic summer. I'm adicted to it >:)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I like it. To think I missed 666! Very neat and such a perfect headline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, thanks. The 6/6/6*2 was a funny co-incidence >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails