September 9, 2014

Disappointed?

Some days ago I bought a new pair of sneakers. I tried them after work today at the gym. I didn't run any faster. My endurance wasn't any better.

I was very disappointed.

Money can't buy me running ability, and happiness?  Tomorow I will go back to the store to complain.

After my exercise, I went to the university to attend a guest lecture on astrophysics and cosmology.

The lecture was in the big auditorium where I took my undergrad courses in calculus and complex analysis 25 years ago. Cool to be back.

I learnt that there are some 500 billion planets in our galaxy. Millions of them have conditions similar to the earth.

In the future, Mars will become like the Earth, and the Earth will become like Venus. On Venus the temperature is 400 degrees (Celcius).  The longterm weather forecast is not good. But this is still a billion years into the future.

The best things in life are for free; science, knowledge, maybe happiness ... and a couple of other things >;)

8 comments:

  1. :-) I know exactly what you mean, but it's only because you're a lucky bastard. Just like me. Not all can get it all for free, you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find some lectures like that around here. We're always trying to find a basket big enough to carry all our eggs, aren't we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out a university near you. They often have series of guest lectures open to everybody >:)

      Delete
  3. Well, they may not have automatically made you run faster, but those sneakers sure are snazzy! :)
    You can use them when we all re-locate to Mars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding Mars, you have a good point, which was also stated at the guest lecture. By the time this dramatic climate change happens, we neef to find a different planet to live on, moving humanity collectively. Fortunately it will happen some 500.1200 million years (depending on the cloud cover used in the simulations) into the future. So, nothing to worry about for you and me >;)

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel about the sneakers. I bought something--household cleaners. I brought them home and put them under my sink, but my house isn't any cleaner. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same thing. You have been fooled too. Return the cleaners to the store >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails