May 13, 2011

Alyosha


Moscow was sunny and warm when we departed. In Murmansk it was snowing when we arrived. It was right after midnight, but who cares? There's not much difference between day and night at this time of the year.

Yesterday, we had our main business meeting. It was an interesting experience. The guards at the entrance were scary, but polite. The CEO was friendly, but reminded me of Brechnyev. He sat in a big chair behind a heavy wooden desk in his huge office. We gathered around a table right in front of the desk. The leader of our delegation introduced us one by one.

Then we went to action. I spent the day digging into technical details, to decide on what we wanted to purchase, and in which form. At the end of the day, we returned to CEO's office, and presented a list of our wishes, and a proposal for collaboration. I answered some scientific questions, with simulataneous translation to Russian by a guy from our Moscow office.

That's all I can say, but I got some cool ideas, and funny fractions of dialogue, that I'll put into my fiction writing some time.

In the evening, we had a sightseeing around Murmansk, before we met in a nice restaurant, to celebrate the upcoming collaboration with our Russian (maybe) business partner. We exchanged toasts and wishes for the future (with vodka of course), and had a great meal; pancakes with sour cream and Russian caviar for starter, and baked halibut as main dish.

Today, we had a quick morning meeting with another company. I had less then an hour to do the technical study, before we gathered around the table in the CEO's office. He was ahappy to see us, and wanted to make a toast, for our (possibly) upcoming business relations. He pulled up a bottle of cognac and served it in glasses and amounts that are usually associated with wine. With just a cognac for breakfast, we went to the airport and returned to Moscow.

Mission completed, I'm on my way back home, one more flight to go >:)

(On our sightseeing trip around Murmansk, we stopped by the 36m (120 feet) high Alyosha statue, a 2nd World War memorial. I took several pictures with my cell phone, including the one above. Even though we're in mid may, doesn't look much like spring; still snow on the ground, and no leaves on the trees. That's fine with me, I'm used to it)

10 comments:

  1. there's something i really like about reading your posts. i think it's because i tend to learn something and be kinda voyeuristic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russia always sounds so exotic (watched Dr Zhivago again this week!). My niece (a political analyst) has been to Russia several times and loves it. Her Dad (both of them are Everton fans!) has also had a lot of dealings with the Russians (he is in the mining industry.) Russia's on my list of places I want to visit one day, but so far I haven't convinced Husband. From your photo, it's hard to believe it's spring! Looks colder than we are here and we're at the beginning of what looks to be a cold (well, relatively cold!) winter. You do get around to interesting places in your job - fabulous research for your writing!
    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to me that you're able to balance these different parts of your life so well--science, business, writing. They're really completely different from each other. While I can easily see a writer being successful in the field of science, being successful at business and writing would be a little tricky (we're typically so out of step with everyone else as writers.) You've got gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need an assistant? I have a daughter who wants to travel, esp Russia. I don't want her to go, but ... She works for Twitter, but would probably jump ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Russia wasn't previously on my bucket list, it is now. Love the description and commentary here. And the Russian writers read like no others. Dostoevsky and Chekhov being two of my favorites.
    I'm wondering, though, if you've read Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago". This post makes me think of the Russian labor camp's landscape, although Murmansk is a long way from Siberia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. id: Thank you. I write this blog mostly for my own entertainment, but I'm very happy that other people enjoy the posts too >:)

    Judy: Russia is a very interesting country. First time I visited Moscow was in 1990 (still Soviet Union at that time), and my previous visit to Moscow was in 2009. The changes were HUGE. Dr Zhivago is a great book and great movie. I've always been a great fan of Russian Classics (I guess Dr. Z is regarded a 20th century classic). One of the cool tings about visiting Russia is that I can meet and discuss with people who have very good knowledge of Russian literature.

    Elizabeth: I only focus of the technical part here. My boss says I'm a bad administrator >:|

    ReplyDelete
  7. No explorating the exotic night area? I remember some American men bargaining with the business ladies in Amsterdam. Very educational.

    Chemical Fusion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen: Yes, would be great to have an assistant. We need people with kinds of skills. Just give her my mail address >:)

    Jayne: I'm a big fan of Russian Classics. My favorites are Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy and Turgenev (in that order). Also, A Hero of Our Time by Michail Lermontov is one of my favorites; short but great novel (or more like a collection of 5 novellas).

    Enid: Not yet; we'll see what the future may bring >:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting whirl wind tour of Russia! They sure like to toast to business with you. mmmm...I wonder why???$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fox K: Good to see you around again >;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails