May 9, 2011

Change of plans


I'm back in the North. It's nice up here at this time of the year. There's no signs of spring yet, no flowers, no leaves on the trees, mountains still covered by snow. But it's light all day, though the midnight sun is, officially, still two weeks away.

I planned to stay for the entire week, to work in our office in the North, but now the plans are changed. Tomorrow I'm going back South, and then East, before turning North again. I'm going to Moscow, and then to Murmansk, the largest city beyond the Arctic Circle.

I've never been there before. It used to be behind the iron curtain. Now it's part of our business playground.

It's gonna be very exciting. I'm looking forward to it ... more to follow >:)

(I took the picture out of the window in my hotel room 15 minutes ago, an hour past midnight, which is the true midnight, if you subtract one hour for daylight saving time. Anyway, we have a full-day meeting tomorrow. It's time to call it a day)

5 comments:

  1. What a midnight! That must be so surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Sweden for two months years ago and was lucky enough to be there over Christmas. It was very hard adjusting to such a short day! I sure wish that I would have experienced the Midnight Sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful midnight sun. But certainly no sign of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia: Yes, maybe it's surreal. To me it's a natural part of the changing seasons, but still I think it's very nice >:)

    Liz: The dark winter is a prize worth paying for the light summer in the north.

    Jayne: No sign of spring yet in the north. No leaves on the birches yet. But when the warm weather comes it will explode.

    Alex: To me business in Russia is surreal, but it's gonna be very interesting. Looking forward to that experience

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails