May 1, 2011

Grand finale


It was our last weekend on snow this season, the grand finale. The weather was perfect, sunny and warm down in the valley, still good skiing conditions on the mountains.

Older boy was skiing the big jumps in the terrain park, as usual. He brought a bunch of his friends as usual. There was a new jump line in the high zone.

Little boy and I participated the worlds biggest downhill race, with more than 2000 skiers. The race course is very modest and easy, maximum speeds hardly above 45 km/h (30 mph). Everyone can take part in it; kids, parents and grand parents.

The race was great fun. Little boy was very happy with the waxing of his skis that I did the night before. However, this time, I won the family battle. I benefited from being heavier in the flat parts of the course, and beat him with one second.

After the race there was a big after-ski party on town square, with live music and lottery on bib numbers. The 1st price was an Audi A1. We didn’t win but we were very close. Next year we’re gonna get that damn car.

When we got back to our cabin, I cooked Tex-Mex dinner for 6 hungry boys and myself.

(I took the picture above while waiting for our turn to start in the race. It’s little boy with bib 2356 studying a piste machine outside of the start paddock. Big machines are interesting stuff for the kids.)

10 comments:

  1. What a cool season. (No pun intended.) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time during your last snow run.
    Wish we still had access to snow. Tough to do when it's eighty degrees though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, had great fun. Now there's ski-break till late June, when we go glacier-skiing in the first week of the school vacation >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, why would you want a damn car? I recommend you enter a race for a non-damn car.

    Go little boy! Next year, you'll beat your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enid: When skiing a flat and easy course, it's an advantage to be fat and heavy. I guess that's my "talent" here >:D

    Helen: I don't need a car (damn or not), but I could take the money from selling it. Little boy always beats me on steeper and more technically difficult courses >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoosh. And the season was over just like that. But you've got the glaciers, lucky you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm...Tex-Mex. Okay...so you've spent time in TX, too?! Because you did mention San Antonio on my blog today. I think you must have lived everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jayne: Yes, we got the glacier skiing to look forward to, first week of school's summer vacation, as usual >:)

    Elizabeth: I've been to Texas many times, bit never lived there

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails