July 28, 2010

Junk food and aged wine


The last couple of weeks we have been on vacation. A few days in Venice, then cruising around in the Adriatic Sea, visiting many interesting places, and eating lots of good food (and drinks? No, very little, I don't drink alcohol when I'm with the kids).

As usual, the Germans were walking around the pool with big beer-bellies and small Speedo pants; very ugly. As usual, the Italian girls had tiny bikinis; very nice! (where the Hell is the moral here?) And whenever I tried to take a picture of the kids or a nice scenery, some unknown jerk bustled in front of my camera in the moment I was pushing the button.

The best about vacation is having plenty of time to relax in the sun and read books. I started with some brain-junk-food; "The Darkest Room", a crime novel by Johan Theorin. It's one of these books that makes me shout: "What the Hell, I could have written better than this shit myself".

Then came the aged wine (when it comes to drinks I actually prefer beer, but never mind); The Gambler by Dostoyevsky, this fabulous little book that I read on the beach every summer. I looked around, feeling pity for all the people sitting there with their junk-literature; Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Barbara Cartland, Stephenie Meyer ... and so on. Burgers and fries are OK now and then, but not every day.

And then, I discovered this little pearl of a book (actually I found it in my wife's suitcase): "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery. It's an intelligent and funny book about a concierge who loves the works of Tolstoy, and a super-smart 12-year-old girl who has decided to commit suicide on her 13th birthday ... well, I won't say more. Just read it!

14 comments:

  1. Welcome back, so you are all tan up? I agree with your saying of the German and Italian but I confess I read "junk food" books too, easier on the stomach.

    Steamy Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Enid. I'm as tan as can be >:)))

    I even went as far as buying a couple of white T-shirts, since I got too hot in the black ones that I usually wear >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been selling "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" based on several friends' recomendations. Always nice to have a second (or fourth, actually) opinion! I really should get to it myself soonish, though.

    Glad you're enjoying your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. Must read HEDGEHOG. Must stand by Germans so can look skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Nothing better than having the time to read and read and read. Pity about the tourists who spoilt your photos! Damn tourists. But the wine sounds good!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Judy.

    Cruella and Anita, I'm sure you will enjoy the Hedgehog book. If you're strong in French, you can read the original version. Otherwise, I think the book is translated to every major language on the planet >:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky that you stumble upon that book. Hmm, wait a cotton-pickin' minute...was she through with it?

    Whenever a tourist walks into a photo, the thing to do is stop them, ask their name and address so you can send them the picture since they (say the rest in all caps) walked in front of your child!

    Re-reading this, I believe I need a glass of wine to soften my grumpiness. Is 8:30 a.m. too early?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice analogy! And I agree, that some junk food now and then totally hits the spot, but it is best not to overdo it or you get fat and lazy. Fine wine is ALSO something probably best not overdone, but should be savored with some regularity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You snatched a great book from your wife?

    Tell her the Germans did it.

    I will have to pick up "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" to read for myself to read. You have an insightful, fun blog. Thanks, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I'm a nice and caring man. I didn't snatch the book from my wife's hands. She was probably in the middle of a book by Cecilia Samartin, and hadn't started on the Hedgehog yet >:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. and 8:30 am that would be more like coffee time, Helen, unless you prefer wine of course >;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right, 8:30 am is coffee time. Now, where did I put that Kahlua?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The vacation sounds great! I thought I was following you before...have fixed that oversight.
    P.S. I write junk literature. :) It's more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for following, Laura >:)

    My own writing doesn't even qualify as junk literature. When it comes to reading I like variety; crime (rarely), cowboy books (should be too old for that), thrillers, conspiracy, contemporary (too little) and classics (too much).

    I haven't read much of the zombie genre, but I'm a big fan of the Braindead movie by Peter Jackson >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails