October 26, 2010

Defeat at Elland Road


In my country we’re crazy about English football (real football; some call it soccer). Most men and some women have their favorite team in England. Leeds united is my team. They had the best team when I was a kid, in the 1970s. You can’t change favorite team. Never. I still follow Leeds United, but not as enthusiastic as before. Now I'm more interested in skiing and science and literature and music. I don’t even know the names of the players anymore. It’s a shame, isn't it?

Anyway, this weekend I was in England to see Leeds United. In fact, we were lucky, and got to see three matches:

Saturday: Doncaster - Sheffield United 2-0

Sunday: Liverpool - Blackburn 2-1


It was cool to be at Anfield Road. We went up to the stadium two hours before the start of the match to look around, to visit the club store (bought a T-shirt for little boy who is Liverpool fan), and to see the Hillsborough memorial (where 96 Liverpool fans were squeezed to death on the over-crowded stand in 1989). Even a Leeds fan must admit that there’s something special about Anfield. The atmosphere is magic when the crowd sings “You’ll Never Walk Alone”.

When we got back to Leeds, I went for a walk around the quarter and ended up with a dark malty beer in an old bar with live jazz. Nice to get some music after all the football.

Monday: Leeds - Cardiff 0-4


This was our main match, the highlight of our trip. We were on the North Stand, with the hard-core Leeds fans. The club is short of money and has a crap team now, but the supporters are still enthusiastic (or fanatic). The F-word and C-word and P-word were shouted continuously, but only aimed at the referee and the Cardiff players. I didn’t hear a single negative remark about the Leeds players, even though they lost 0-4 at home. The Leeds fans are used to hard times.

After the match we were met by 200 policemen (and women), with helmets and shields, many on horses, some with barking dogs. I haven’t seen that many police ever. They wanted to keep the Leeds and Cardiff supporters separated to avoid fighting. For some reason they hate each other.

I don’t hate anyone, but I like English football >:)

11 comments:

  1. Well, my brother-in-law is British and Everton is his team and has been since he was a kid. My eldest niece is an Everton supporter and her boyfriend is a mad crazy Liverpool fan. Watching the family watch a soccer match between Everton and Liverpool is more interesting than the game itself. Nephew is an Arsenal fan. I only learned about soccer during 2010 SWC.

    Glad you had a special weekend in the UK oing the things you love!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! You are such an adventurer! I hope you stay that way, instead of getting old and boring like so many men do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy: I bet you have some interesting football discussions during family dinners. Do they shoot meat balls at each other?

    Anita: Yes, it was fun, and watching the crowd on the stand is just as fun as the match itself. BTW, most of the time I'm probably just as boring as other men ... wait and see >;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats a live sporting event. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it is fun to see live! I agree, nothing better than a live sporting event

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never actually been to a live sporting event, whatever sport. :P Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched 2 live matches when I lived in London in the 90s. We were the only three Asian girls in the whole stadium, I think. The first match was great because we sat in very good position. But the second match, we sat at one end of the field, near the goal. Unluckily all the actions, during both halves, were happening at the other end of the field. I was saying to my friend, we needed TV replay. But it was great fun too. I like English football too. English footballers' gear may not be as tight as those wore by American footballers, but they sure have style and skill. Can't say who's my favourite team tough.

    My Darcy Mutates…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most sports events are more fun to watch live, at least the stadium sports.

    Some years ago, I watched the downhill world championship live in Vail, Colorado. Not much you get to see when the skiers pass at 120 km (75 miles) per hour. Downhill is better on TV.

    Enid, I've never thought about the tightness of the gear of English football players. Might be that you and I watch football in a slightly different way >:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, the football/soccer fans are loyal. We have really loyal football (not talking about soccer) fans here, but I don't think they've ever needed a platoon of police as they leave the game. I do have a sister who is a bit of a fanatic for the Steeler football team and she doesn't even live in Pittsburg.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can understand about keeping favorite teams for life. Props to you for not being a band-wagoner. Me, I still like the Detroit Lions no matter how pathetic they are. Hey, there's always next year!

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helen: Football (soccer) is a sport with long traditions in England and other European countries. Football is more than just a sport; it's "war" between different social and religious groups. It's easiest to see in cities with two (or more) top clubs. There's typically a working-class club (with red shirts) and a upper/middle-class club (with blue shirts). The most extreme football battles happen in Glasgow (the Old Firm), where religion is involved, between Celtic (the Catholic team) and Rangers (the Protestant team).

    Stephen: I like American football too. I became a Broncos fan when we lived in Colorado, when John Elway was the quarter back and the Broncos won to straight Super Bowls >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails