October 3, 2010

Magret de canard


Fall is the time to fly south, when it’s cold and dark and rainy in the north, before the snow drapes the hills and mountains in white and the skiing starts. Last week we went down to the French Riviera for a few days, my old lady and I.

We explored the narrow streets and alleys of old Nice, had lunch with rose wine on Place Massena. We hiked around Cap Ferrat, and visited the old castle with the Picasso Museum in Antibes.

It’s pleasant to stay in southern France, and it’s always entertaining to watch the Frenchmen, when they’re riding scooters with designer suits and tie, and when they play boule in the parks, arguing intensively about who wins.

In the fall, when the days are warm and evenings are chill, the Frenchmen are never too warm and never really cold. They’re always something in between. When they’re half-cold, they carry a yellow or read wool sweater over the back, with arms tied loosely around the neck. When they’re three-quarters-cold, they hang a jacket over the shoulders, but without putting the arms in. That’s the way the French do it, no one but the French. To me it only looks awkward, and I have to smile every time I see it.

Then there is the food and the wine. In France you get the most hyped food, stuff that tastes like shit and costs a fortune, for instance frog legs and snails and duck liver. But there is delicious dishes too, like magret de canard (steak of duck), with orange gravy, or with honey and pepper gravy.

And I read some good books of course. This was my read:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Teriible story, great prose.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Great story from Afghanistan.

13 comments:

  1. La vie en rose! You seem to have great days. It's good to get away from the cold.

    My Darcy Mutates…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you. I'd suffer through some frogs and snails for a few days on the Riviera right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, a Frenchman can basically ask me anything as long as he talks and talks; I don't care if it's French or English with a French accent, I swoon at the first syllable. Of all the Romantic languages, French is my favourite.

    And The Kite Runner is at my bedside, waiting to be read next (when I finish The Robber Bride by Atwood). My Mom read The Road, felt much like you.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a glorious season to visit there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good time. Men in suits on scooter is an amusing visual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's those details -- like odd sweater habits -- that really flesh-out writing. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky duck. That all sounded soooooo nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Except for the food, you make me want to go to the south of France. Sounds like you had a relaxing time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like fun to me! I think I'd like a getaway to somewhere completely *different* right now. And it's always good for inspiration, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enid: That's a film about Edit Piaff, right?

    Cruella: Yes, lucky me. Better than writing a thesis day and night, isn't it?

    Judy: I don't speak French, never bothered to learn it. it's a useless language, except in France >:)))

    Laura: Right now is a great time to go down to Cote de Azur. In summer it's a little bit too hot for a guy from Winterland.

    Alex: French girls in mini-skirts on a scooter is even more amusing >:)

    Will: Thanks. Writing all those details that I want to write is often my problem, since my vocabulary in English is too limited. I need more synonyms the make the writing as colorful as I can do it in my native language.

    Colene: Exactly, it was Nice >:)))

    Helen: They have alot of great food in France, the magret de canard, the wine, the beer, and of course all the 250 different cheeses. President de Gaulle once said, in frustration when things didn't go his way: "How can you rule a country that has more than 250 different types of cheese?"

    Elizabeth: France is a perfect getaway. Just watching all the weird people is great entertainment ... and Italy is great too >:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit the South of France! Sounds like a great holiday.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the song, not the film. Very sensual song La vie on rose.

    (And I've messed up with the book link. Now it's fixed. If you dare to click...)

    My Darcy Mutates

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clarissa: We had a great holiday. And it's very convenient that we have a direct flight from our hometown to Nice, it's a three-hour flight.

    Enid: Hehe, yes maybe I'm brave enough to click >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails