October 12, 2010

Winter is coming


I'm back in the north. I haven't been here since June.

I took an early flight this morning. First, one hour on a big jet. Then another half an hour in a small propeller plane. Before take off they moved some passengers to the back seats, to redistribute weight, and stabilize the plane. That's normal, they often do that on Six Flags Airlines.

The trees have dropped their leaves. The birch forest is gray, with spots of flaming red from the berries of the rowan trees in between. The mountains are white, but in town there's less than an inch of snow. Right now it's snowing outside.

Winter is just around the corner. Great!

I don't have my commute apartment here anymore. Now I'm sitting in a down-town hotel, writing on my so-called novel ... sorry guys, I have some fun work to do >:)

9 comments:

  1. Ha! I was asked to sit in the back of the plane the last time I was on a prop plane. Made me feel self-conscious! I'm thin, but tall and it made me wonder about the integrity of the plane if my weight was going to make any difference. :)

    Glad you got there all right. Good luck with your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nervous! I would hate to be moved to redistribute weight!

    Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack - winter IS nearing. We've had several nights of frost here, and as usual I wonder when I walk out in the cold autumn morning how I will survive the winter (but it always feels less cold once you're used to it, doesn't it).

    Good luck noveling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACK! (note Cruella and my long friendship that we react identically) I'm glad winter makes you feel like writing. It makes ME feel like eating, drinking and sleeping. HYBERNATION!

    We are having a lovely Indian Summer--it is the best season in Michigan when we have one--70 degree days, sunshine on the mixed red, gold and green maples, crisp nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, being asked to move to the back of the plane to distribute weight would just scare me.

    It's turning cooler here, at least in the mornings. I love it. Cooler, not cold, though. I'm not one for really cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd get a little nervous if I had to move to redistribute weight on a plane--I didn't know that where people were sitting affected the way it flew!

    It's gotten colder here. The heat's on already, and there's usually frost on the lawns in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth: Thanks >:) It's normal to move people around in small planes. It makes a difference at take off and landing, I think.

    Colene: I trust the pilots, they are very good.

    Alex: Enjoy your autumn. It's a nice time for hiking in the forests. Maybe you find some berries and mushrooms?

    Cruella and Hart: Ack and ACK >:))) Not me, I enjoy the winter. It's the best time of the year, the joy if skiing >:)

    Helen: I guess cooler in Texas means that you can spend some time outdoor without being fried?

    Golden Eagle: Looks like your living in the mountains?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're having fun with the novel. I've stopped writing to play catchup on housework, but catchup on internet friends is more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails