August 3, 2011

Catholic flashback


It's kind of strange around here. We're Protestants most of the time, but for one week every year, we're Catholics. (This doesn't include myself, though. I'm Atheist all the time.)

500 years ago, the Catholics were kicked out of the country, and the last arch bishop had to flee our town. We have been Protestants ever since. But every summer, we have a Catholic flashback. It's the full package; vesper and midnight mass, pilgrim walks with munks and nuns, fighting the lust of the flesh, in sneakers and Gore-Tex jackets (depending on weather). And there's a lot of regular tourists of course.

In the last week of July and first week of August, we have a festival to celebrate the holy king who brought Christianity to our country, 1000 years ago. We can discuss if this was an advantage or not. Anyway, it's a historical fact that it happened.

The kings mission was simple and efficient: Get christened or get killed. No wonder Christianity was such a great success.

The king was killed in a battle 1000 years ago, when he met resistance from an army of peasants. Every summer there is a historical play, an hour drive (with car, not horse) north of town. The play is performed outdoor at the battle field, and recreates the political situation and conflicts leading up to the battle. (The battle itself, though, takes place backstage).

I've seen the play 3 or 4 times. It's quite interesting and entertaining, for the kids too.

The king caused miracles for those who were in contact with his dead body, sick and blind people were healed, and the king's hair continued to grow after his death (according to the saga). He was canonized by the local arch bishop; later confirmed by Pope Alexander III in 1160.

The medieval cahtedral in our town is built on the grave of the holy king, who is known as Saint Olav.

(The summer festival is not only about gods and saints. There are various types of entertainment too. Last night I attended a concert with Jan Garbarek Group outside of the cathedral. I took a couple of pictures, even though it was not allowed. The drummer was very good, and he played the same brand of cymbals that I have; Zildjian. Good stuff.)

10 comments:

  1. How totally interesting! And a bit odd at the same time. Don't kick me, anybody, but it's fun that once a year Norway has a Catholic flashback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting festival. I would think it odd but *shrugs* who knows... obviously many like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your disclaimer- "This doesn't include me, I'm Atheist all the time."
    At least you can stick to your guns. I don't believe I'd enjoy being Catholic, ever. (Even if it were only for a week every year.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find European history and tradition fascinating as here in the U.S. out history only goes back so far and pales in comparison to Medievel Times, the Renaissance, The Dark Ages, Greek Mythology, the rise and fall of Rome, etc. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your traditions with us. I'd never heard about it. I wish my knowledge of world history wasn't so rusty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being an old, non-practicing Catholic, I'd just love to see this once-a-year event.

    "...munks and nuns, fighting the lust of the flesh..." is exactly what I remember thinking back in my Catholic school days. Ha! It's no wonder they were all so cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen: The Catholic flashback is relatively local, because of the historical events taking place around here.

    Alex: That's a good way to characterize it.

    Clarissa: It's mainly a historical kind of festival. An event celebrating a canonized king and medieval history can't avoid bringing in the Catholic aspect. The Protestant church is kind of gray and boring, with no place for saints.

    Nessa: Fortunately, we're free to choose our religion, including the option of "none" >:)

    Stephen: I would say that America and Europe share the pre-Columbus European history, to some degree at least.

    Lydia: Mine is quite rusty too. I only know some random parts here and there, and our local history of course.

    Jayne: I'm very fascinated by religion, and I think it's very interesting to watch Catholic masses. My favorite church is the Stephan's Dome in Vienna. Also, I had a very interesting visit to the Abbey of Melk many years ago. They have an original Gutenberg bible and stuff like that >:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this as a historic piece--I am not religious either, and abhor the means through which Catholocism spread, but i like current day nods at history. I like it BETTER in a country that is currently not practicing the actual religion much than in one that maybe glorified the events and forgot the atrocities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hart: The history of Christianity is mostly the same as the history of the Catholic Church (with the Orthodox branch) up to the 15th century. It was not until 1517 that Martin Luther pinned up his theses at the church wall in Wittenberg. The history is quite violent in periods, such as the crusade against the Cathars in France, and the Spanish Inquisition, with the inquisitor Bernardo Gui. Very interesting stuff, indeed >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails