August 21, 2011

Down by the seaside


It was the last week of the summer vacation, and we went to the coast down south. Actually, it's not very far south, just an hour driving south of Winterland.

Blackberries are growing wild by the roads, very nice to eat right off the bush. Blackberries don't grow in Winterland.

(I might use this as a definition; Winterland is the land north of the northermost blackberry bush.)

We had some nice and lazy days by the sea, swimming, jumping from cliffs (the kids, not me), fishing, or just racing around on the fjord in a small boat, just for fun.

Little boy caught a grasshopper and put it in a jar. He named it Roy and tried to teach it tricks. It turned out that Roy wasn't very willing to learn.

I've read some good books, of course. First, I read my every-summer-on-the-beach book; The Gambler by Dostoyevsky. It's about the 10th time I read it. Second, I read Boomerang by Tatiana de Rosnay. Good book, recommended.

Then I found this old book in a shelf; The Barble Bush by Charles Mergendahl. I had never heard of it before, but the text on the back cover made me curious; "2.5 million copies sold" (not necessarily a good sign), "mercy killing, adultry, seduction, insanity ... sordid ingredients". And the book wasn't bad, I think.

From time to time, I got tired of reading; I wanted to write. So, I got a notebook, and started to write a new novel. The notebook has pages labeled from A to Z (plus a couple of strange letters we're using here). Just for fun, I started a new chapter for every new heading-letter, and each chapter beginning with the same letter. I'm writing longhand, so I have to rewrite (and edit) everything later.

My new (so-called) novel is a story about two old men escaping from the nursery home, and their adventures as they travel northward. It's is kind of a road movie, except that it's a novel, and that they travel by train and ship rather than car. On their way, they summarize their different, but equally miserable lives and hope that their last journey will bring something exciting. I have no plot and no plan; we'll see where it ends.

Led Zeppelin? Yes, that's right. I borrowed the title of this post from a Led Zeppelin song on the Physical Graffiti album.

(I took the picture above on a nice and sunny day at the beach. The area along the coast is of great geological interest. The rocks were created by volcanic erruptions some 150 million years ago, and later carved and shaped by glaciers. It's nature's own art.)

13 comments:

  1. Glad you've decided to tackle a new novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your lazy summer days. I'll try not to let it grow into full-blown resentment.
    The novel sounds interesting. I see myself escaping from a place like that one day, and of course, I will need a cohort to keep me company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a gorgeous place, full of inspiration. Love how you use the letters in the notebook to start chapters, and great idea for the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fresh picked blackberries or blueberries. In Canada, you can pick them off the roadside as well.

    Thanks for the book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good plot because I think there are not enough novels about elderly people. And it's spring time here, with a lot of annoying drizzles.

    Every Savage Can Reproduce

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new novel sounds intriguing. Kind of like The Bucket List, but deeper. Enjoy the rest of your vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex: I'll give it a try.

    Nessa: Let me know when you run away, and I'll join you >:)

    Mary: The notebook kind of suggested this idea to me.

    Clarissa: Blackberries are delicious. Blueberries, lingonberries, crowberries and cloudberries are abundant in Winterland, but no blackberries.

    Enid: I've read a couple of very good books about elederly people, but there are not too many, I agree.

    Liz: The Bucket List was the first thing my spouse mentioned when I told her about my new project. I haven't seen that movie myself yet, but I'll rent the DVD

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter once put a caterpillar in a glass jar and screwed on the lid. Later, we had to have a funeral for poor Charlie.

    Plot? Just let your characters tell you what to write. Who cares about plot. I've read lots of great writing without any plots at all. ;)

    (That says a lot that an hour south of north you can't find blackberries. We picked tons of blackberries in Maine. So much so, we couldn't eat them all.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful place! But...isn't a fjord a little chilly?

    Russian lit isn't exactly a beach book! Maybe it is if you're used to scientific tomes, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a lovely vacation, and I'm glad it's inspired you to write. Travel novels are fun. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as your characters do (or don't? will they enjoy it?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jayne: Yes, that's what I'm doing here. I just write, no plan and no plot. Enjoy your blackberries >:)

    Elizabeth: The fjord wasn't cold, at least it was warm enough for swimming, and the kids doesn't care much about water temperature anyway ... but I do >:)

    Rosie: I agree, travel novels (and movies) are fun. I guess On the Road by Kerouac and Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne are my biggest inspirations. I enjoy the journey, and I'm sure the characters will have some enjoyable moments too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by here sometimes is so relaxing. You're off going places and doing interesting things. Very nice.

    Tell Little Boy that grasshoppers do have a talent. They hop. But not in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen: Thanks. Yes, we noticed that grasshoppers are very good hoppers, and not easy to catch

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails