August 28, 2011

Dorian and I


Before we moved to our present house, we lived in a condo a couple of miles away. It was a nice neighborhood, and a great place for kids to grow up. We still have many friends from that era.

Yesterday, it was the annual garden party in our old street, with lots of former neighbors. Some of them still live in the same street. Some have moved to other parts of town, like us. It was a great party, with barbecue and volleyball (an important part of the tradition), and it was fun to see all the little kids who have grown up to become teenagers.

We see some of our former neighbors occasionally, but some we hardly ever meet. Yesterday, I talked to a woman that I haven't seen for more than 10 years. She said that I looked exactly the same as 15 years ago, not a day older.

I thought this was a nice compliment, and I thanked her (she looked a lot older, so I didn't return it). But later, I got kind of worried, because Dorian Gray came to my mind.

Today, I've been looking at old family pictures. The wedding picture, looked as it always did, fortunately. Then I started to browse old photo albums, looking for those frightening signs ... because, you know, Dorian and I gave our souls to the Devil.

Mohahaha ... scary isn't it >:)))

It's a great book, btw.

(That's Dorian in the picture, not me. I found the picture on the Internet. It's a cover picture from the Penguin Classics series. That's the edition of Dorian Gray that I have. I bought it in a 2nd-hand bookstore on Pearl Street in Boulder long time ago, when we lived in Colorado)

15 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's kinda freaky. But I'm glad you retained your youthful look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nothing wrong with hanging on to youthful appearances!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get along with my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, to look like I did 15 years ago. I think men and women alternate when we age... as teens, women look a lot better--really good for a long time... but i think through the 30s and 40s, men hold their own as women get wrinkled and gain weight... then by the 50s or 60s, women gain the advantage again.

    So did your pictures age as you failed to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarissa: I guess my ex-neighbors statement tells more about her bad memory than my looks >:D

    Judy: Hehe, yes, feels like I'm haunted

    Alex: Yes, that's true.

    Matthew: For some reason, we have always been lucky to get very nice neighbors. Next weekend there's a party with our present neighbors across the street.

    Hart: Haven't found the aging picture yet. So it might be it was just too dark for my ex-neighbor to see my wrinkles >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great book! I have it too. We have an annual block party here too but it doesn't happen until the end of October, when the desert finally starts to cool off.

    P.S. Glad you liked The Scream painting. That's one of my all-time fave paintings too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mid life crisis talk? Hehe, I thought women were the vain ones...Good to know you still look as young.

    Every Savage Can Reproduce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that Oscar Wilde with all his glorious hedonism. It's a little, um, odd?, when you can't return the compliment, isn't it? I think remaining silent is wise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what I think you're- Sizzling HOT! With those devilish looks you'll always be young looking or atleast young at heart.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always accused of not aging as well. It's because I never smoked and I dress like a 12 year old. Also I dye my hair. I don't recall ever selling my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz: It's apparently hotter in your place. Late October means snow here.

    Enid: Hehe, you're probably right. And I didn't say I do look young >:)

    Jayne: Sometimes silence is the best choice. Wilde is a fascinating guy,no doubt.

    Mer: Young at heart, yes. I leave it to you to judge about the rest >;)

    id: Are you sure? Have you tried to look for your aging picture?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may want to check the trunks in the attic too for Grimoires and candles with sigils etched into them. Any circles painted on the floot under the carpets?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missed you posting for the group today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will: Hehe, I better check it out >:D

    Alex: Yes, I know. Sorry about that. I've been just to busy to keep up with everything. But I'll be back ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails