October 30, 2011

Heaven and Hell


Heaven is a place where
the French are the chefs,
the Italians are the lovers,
the Swiss are the bankers,
the Germans are the engineers,
the English are the police.

Hell is a place where
the English are the chefs,
the Swiss are the lovers,
the Italians are the bankers,
the French are the engineers,
the Germans are the police.

Some funny European stereotypes. I don't know who invented this joke. It wasn't me. I learnt it from a Californian.

If you're a Satanist, you may want to swap Heaven and Hell. That's fine with me >:)

(I took the picture above when we visited Paris three years ago. The big walk-in map of Europe was in the park by the Eiffel Tower. The lines for the lift were endless, so we walked the stairs up the tower. I don't like climbing high, so little boy and I stopped at the first level. Older boy climbed up to the second level. That's the highest you can get by the stairs.)

6 comments:

  1. Actually I have learnt a different French stereotype - "it takes them for-fucking-ever to just do the initial investigation and get going, but the stuff they build tend to be good if you have the patience to wait for it". Dunno which is right. Picked that up through work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silme: The stereotype of bad French engineers is probably out of data. Now they build both good cars and good planes (Airbus). Also, I think the French kitchen is somewhat hyped. Duck with orange gravy is good though >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice joke. I don't think I've heard it before, but I like the way you paired it with your pic. I can't recall if I've ever spent much time in Europe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've heard this before. Funny how stereotypes stick for so long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in Paris years ago, I climbed up the Eiffel Tower. So much fun. I still remember that view. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nessa: Thanks. If you haven't spent much time in Europe, you should come over here some time. I promise to pay a visit to Texas in return, I'm not fond of houston, but I'v been to other cool places in Texas >:)

    Lydia: Yes, it is. And some of the stereotypes migh have a core of truth >:D

    Liz: The view is great and the tower is impressive. Did you walk the stairs or go by the elevator?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails