October 16, 2011

October sun


Winter is getting closer, but it's not very close yet. Only the highest mountains are capped in white snow. The trees have dropped the leaves, but down in the valley, the grass is still green.

This weekend we had some great October days in the mountains. The nights were cold, but days were warm. The sun slowly melted the frozen gound from last night.

The ponds were covered by just a thin crust of ice. We could easily break it by throwing a small rock on it.

Yesterday we had a nice hike. We reached to the top, after an hour and a half. When we opened our backpack, we found that we had forgotten our water bottles and lunch packets in the cabin.

The kids were very thisty. Fortunately, we found some patches of fresh snow.

"Make a snow ball and eat it like an apple," I said.

They did, and it killed their thirst. There's always a solution.

"Don't eat it to fast, or you will get very cold in your stomachs," I added.

They didn't listen to my advice. No problem; not for me :)

9 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! And great to get out into it. Man, though, I am SO not looking forward to winter. I think I'd have an even harder time if I knew it was coming that much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send excess snow and ice south to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me of one time when i was hiking in colorado, we ran out of water with our entire return down the mountain left, i was soooo thirsty. after we got down it was discovered there was actually a whole bottle of water left...not in my pack, btw, because I would've noticed such a thing.
    pretty picture up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forget about times like this! Hiking in the snow and eating it. What a beautiful place you live. A lot like Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice...in October? Brrr. To me, that sounds like winter is already there! We're having a hot start to summer - jacarandas are in full bloom at the moment, there is a carpet of lilac covering the roads, and we're anxiously looking at the sky. Plenty of clouds but not even 6 drops of rain yet! Enjoy the last days of your autumn

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, sucking on snowballs. Easy way to get brain freeze. Good way to quench the thirst. Looks like a fantastic hike! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We couldn't hike for that long here. The weather can change so quickly, you'd start out on a sunny hike, and find yourself caught in a tornado an hour later.
    A snow apple sounds pretty great right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I lived somewhere that had mountains and real winters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hart: Winter is great, at least when the snow is in the right places; in the mountains and the ski resorts. Lots of snow in town can be a big hazzle though.

    Alex: We usually get plenty, and I'll be hapy to send you some snow and ice >:)

    id: Colorado is great for hiking. I remember from the time we lived there, that you couldn't drink water from the brooks and rivers because of some kind of parasites, I think. But the sportstores sold some stuff you could use to filter it.

    Clarisa: Yes, Canada is a good analog on your side of the Atlantic >:)

    Judy: The snow and ice is only at high elevation so far, but a month from now it's probably all white. Enjoy your spring on the southern hemisphere!

    Jayne: Eating snow is great when you're thirsty. When I was a kid, the adults told us not to eat snow. I don't agree, so I teach my own kids it's OK to eat snow if it's fresh and clean >:)

    Nessa: Snow apples are very good. They probably wouldn't last very long in Texas though >:)

    Matthew: Nearby mountains and snow (in winter) is a must for me. Also, I like to have ocean view

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails