May 3, 2012

Scream for millions



Yesterday, the Scream by Edvard Munch was sold by Sotheby's for 120 million dollars. That's pretty expensive for a painting. I submitted my bids, but had to back out when the price passed 100 million.

I'm not sure who bought the picture.  Rumors say it was the royal family of Qatar. Whoever the buyers are, I hope they're not too disappointed when they find it's not the only Scream. Edvard Munch painted four versions of this picture between 1893 and 1910. The three other versions are owned by the Munch Museum and the National Gallery.

I f you,  like me, were outbidden in yesterday's auction, there's a consolation. In the Munch Museum, you can admire two different versions of the Scream for only $15. And they have lots of other cool Munch pictures as well >:)

(The picture above is one of the Screams owned by the Munch Museum, probably the first version from 1893. I found the picture on the Internet, for free)

8 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last I know why I kept hearing about the scream on the radio. But now I want to see them all side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in different museums, except that the Munch Museum got two versions. But they are all great paintings.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I was outbid too. ;)
    I like Sheila's thought. I want to see them side by side and play "can you find the differences."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The different versions of the Scream are made using different techniques; one is a pastella, two are oil paintings, the fourth is a crayon drawing (I think). In the version that was sold on the auction, the man with the hat in the background is bending over the fence. In the other versions, he's standing straight.

      Delete
  4. I never get any good art either. Somebody's always outbidding me by 20 million or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's a sad that we always have to back out when the price goes beyond 20 million >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails