December 16, 2010

The Story of Christmas revised


This happened some years ago, when little boy was about five yo. They had learnt about The Story Of Christmas (Luke 2:1-20) in kindergarden. One evening before Christmas little boy and I were playing with plastilina clay. Little boy started to retell The Story in his own way, and asked me if I could model it in clay. He was the director, and I just made what he told me to.

We made Jesus in the crib and Virgin Mary and his stepfather Joseph, and the Three Wise Men who came with gold and frankincense and myrrh (Matt 2:1-15). At this point little boy started to deviate from the original version of the story. He suggested that Jesus should get a soccer ball, so I made a soccer ball for him.


Then little boy wanted a soccer match. I made two goals, and little boy set up the teams. Even Virgin Mary had to participate, to make the two teams equal.

I argued that it was not very likely that Jesus was running around with a soccer ball just a few hours after his birth, but little boy insisted. Maybe he was right, taking into account the incredible tricks Jesus did later (the water-to-wine trick, the calming-the-sea trick, the five-breads-and-two-fish trick and so on)

8 comments:

  1. I could totally believe baby Jesus as a soccer player. Didn't Hercules do something awesome right after birth? I don't see Jesus as someone to allow himself to be one-upped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kids and their imaginations! What a fabulous little story he created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bending a soccer kick just so has been thought to be a godly trait, I hear.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rusty: Jesus would probably been a very good soccer player, if he replaced his sandals with proper soccer boots.

    Hart: It was really fun to model his story in clay. Fortunately I had a camera nearby to capture it

    Lydia: Yes they say so. Bending a soccer kick like Beckham or Roberto Carlos is not straight forward. Personally I do however believe more in genes and practice than the godly touch >:)

    Alex: I didn't know neither. But according to little boy, the three wise men brought a soccer ball, in addition to the more well-known gold and frankincense and myrrh. It might be that Matthew just forgot to mention it >:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, little boy with a healthy obsession of soccer. I'm writing a sci-fi and the heroine is carrying a baby who can talk and mind control even when he's not yet born. Weird, but anything is possible in sci-fi. Your post reminds me of own "little boy" in the book.

    Fire and Cross

    ReplyDelete
  6. well it was nice if you to create the clay model for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enid: Soccer is not the worst obsession to have, at least not when you're a little boy.

    Clarissa: I can tell you we had a lot of fun making these clay models >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails