March 24, 2011

Blizzard


I'm working late again tonight.

I took a break at 5pm, and went home to feed the kids (my old lady has been out traveling last 3 days, on a business trip to the south). The kids were hungry, so we made some quick and simple stuff; pizza from the supermarket.

Then I went back to the office, to prepare my lecture for tomorrow morning. The subject this week is simultaneous joint inversion, the Holy Grail of inverse problems. It's about throwing all different kinds of geophysical measurements into a big computer, at the same time. Then, after a while, a unified picture of the earth pops out, we hope. I'm not actually gonna do it. I just teach the theory behind the method. It's like a mathematical concrete mixer.

Teaching is great fun, but the preparations take quite some time, because I always want to be well prepared. I try to imagine that I'm on the students side of the classroom. What kind of lecture would I liked to get? A systematic and comprehensible presentation. That's what I try to make. It's my last week lecturing this semester. Next Thursday I can do something else.

There's a really bad blizzard outside. It's been snowing and blowing like Hell for 3-4 days now. I have to dig the car out of the snow for the 4th time today. If the wind calms down we may get some good powder skiing this weekend.

Now I'm going home, in the white inferno. At least I will try ... >:)

(Sorry, I didn't have a good picture at hand. Above is our weather forecast for the next 24 hours. Doesn't look too good, does it? Maybe it's getting better for the weekend >:) )

5 comments:

  1. We've had a late blizzard too. Glad you can see the possitive in it and can get out to ski. We're tired of all the shoveling and cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're a great teacher--your approach is good! Sorry about all the snowy, blowy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary: After a blizzard, when the wind calms down, and the sun comes back, is usually very nice, with great skiing >:)

    Hart: Thanks, I'm doing my best. I try to focus on major principles and ideas rather than details of little importance. I hope that's the way the student like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimminee. You make me thankful for Texas heat! Keep warm and don't get so snowed in you can't get home to feed the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen: No problem, the kids are still alive >:D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails