March 27, 2011

Powder to the people


We had a really heavy blizzard this week, lasting for five days.

This weekend was the time to harvest, from the heavy snow fall. We went up to the mountains, and had a great time skiing in all the fresh powder.

The wind calmed down, but the snowfall continued throughout the weekend. I was off-piste skiing in the sparse birch forest with the kids. Today, it was powder all over the place, even on slopes that are normally groomed. Great! The white gold >:)

(I forgot my camera at home. The picture above was taken about a month ago. It's Little Boy skiing in the birch forest. This seemed to be the weekend when we forgot almost everything. When we stopped on a gas station on the way to the mountains, I found that I had forgotten my wallet and my cell phone at home. I asked my old lady to pay, but she had forgotten her wallet too. Fortunately, Little Boy had some cash that he got for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. He was kind enough to let me borrow his money >:D )

7 comments:

  1. What's the difference in the feel when skiing in fresh snow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know why people have kids...so they have their private bankers with them all the time!

    I hope little boy doesn't charge too much interest on the loan!
    Judy (South Africa)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love spring powder! I bet it was great! My son always has more money than I do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cool to ski when its snowing. Been a few years for me though. White gold. Great term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the term "white gold." Must remember that. The snow looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enid: It feels smoother when skiing in fresh snow. Also, the skiing techniqe you need to apply is very different from groomed-sloope skiing. More balanced pressure on both skis, slightly backward leaning, unless you use so-called rocker-skis that pop you out of the snow after each turn and every jump. It's simply a different way of skiing. Also, the fact that you don't get powder every day makes it attractive >:)

    Judy: Yes, that's what kids are for. Little boy is very kind and requires only mild interests >:D

    Hart: Spring powder is great. March is usually the month with the largest snow fall over here.

    Stepehn: Book a skiing vacation and get back in the powder. It's addictive.

    Liz: It IS the white gold. Just ask any skier ... or the companies that run the skiing resorts >:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally impressed that Little Boy got money weeks ago and still had it!

    Hey, didn't Prince Harry go up your way then head off to the North Pole?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails