March 29, 2011

Daylight saving time


This weekend we swapped to daylight saving time, or summer time, as we call it. I assumed my new cell phone automatically adjusted the clock, like my old phone did.

I'm using my cell phone as alarm clock, and Monday morning we got up when the alarm went off at 7am. We had breakfast and I sent little boy off to school, before driving to work at 8:15, I thought.

Little boy thought so too. He rang the door bell of the house next door, where one of his friends lives. They walk to school together every morning. He got an early warning when his friend's mom opened the door and said that his friend left an hour ago. He was embarrassed when he came to school and had to tell the teacher that we had messed up the time.

Little boy was annoyed when he called me after school. Sorry about that. My fault.

I told him that it will be less embarrassing in the fall, when we switch the clocks back. Then he will be one hour too early >:D

(I found this picture on the internet. When I was young, I had several Swatch'es, in all kinds of weird patterns and colors. Now it's more than 10 years since I carried a watch. Maybe I should get one?)

11 comments:

  1. Oh boy! See, this is why having church on Sunday is helpful--gets the kinks out of the system a day early. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my phone didn't switch over automatically either, but i noticed before it mattered. i wouldn't get a watch, there's no way you're going to even remember to wear it if you haven't worn one for more than 10 years. and it's kinda nice not having any idea what time it is sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our daylight savings started two weeks ago and my iPad switched automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually get up at five - this monday my brain told me that it was 4am and the middle of the bl*y night when my alarm went off, pitch dark. Painful. Now it is twenty past five and the horizon has turned a rusty brown. Sunrise approaches. In a few weeks I will be woken by the sun again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny. I thought all cell phones automatically updated, so you weren't foolish in relying on it. Many people have had the time-change delays. I'd vote to stop the change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happily Cheesy: Then it makes some sense to buld churches. We have church on Sundays here to, as far as I know, but I never go there. Dorian and I belong to the other side >:D

    id: Sometimes it's fun to have no clock. When I was young, I somtimes used to hike in the mountains for 4-5 days, sleeping in a tent, and with no clock, just following the sun.

    Alex: My computer switched automatically too.

    Silme: Both 4 and 5 am are in the middle of the night to me. Sometimes I have to get up at 5 to go to the airport. It's terrible >:)

    Mary: I would stop the change too. Actually, I would prefer to have daylight saving time all year. It's good to get an hour more of light in the afternoon, in particular during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh--poor little guy! Things like that seem so mortifying when you're young!

    I like those watches as jewelry, but it has been years since I wore a watch, too... though I don't carry a cell phone either... I just rely on the ambient clocks I see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little boy. He probably told everyone that he had a dad who couldn't tell time.

    Yes, get a Swatch. Even though I carry a cell phone, I still wear a watch when I leave the house. Which, actually, is pretty silly since I can't read the time on the watch unless I dig out my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hart: In 4th grade it's embarrassing to be one hour late. In high-school he would just be happy to start late.

    Helen: Yes, the rumor is probably all over town now >:D

    In fact I have 3 or 4 old Swatch'es in the drawer, just need to change battery; I think. But I have the same problem; can't read the time without my glasses. Damn, I'm getting old >:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got totally confused, because my old Nokia mobile phone has changed to winter time but we haven't changed in reality. And it won't allow me to change it back to the present time. Modern technology, sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enid: The conclusion is never trust a mobile phone. I've got a Nokia too. You now, Nokia changed from being a producer of rubber boots and bike tires into a high-tech phone company in just a few years. Maybe they forgot a couple details on the way, like how to set the clock >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails