August 19, 2010

The outermost island


I'm back in the north, and basically in the middle of the ocean, on the outermost populated island in this big archipelago. A weird place for a geophysics conference. I've never been here before. It's a nice place. The island is remote and manage on their own. There are two flights to the mainland per day, and two ferry departures, with four hours transit across the sea.

The population is about 600 people. They export first-class dry-cod for 150.000 dollars per citizen per year, mostly to Italy. Unemployment is zero, it's a self-sustained community. They have 100 fishing boats, one taxi and one church.

Today the weather has been perfect. Sunny, but windy. It's always windy here. Before lunch we went on a boat ride, in a fast 30 foot RIB, out between the small islands and rocks near by, where only sheep, eagles, and half a million Atlantic puffins live. I took some pics of course.

After lunch, the conference started. My talk was the second last before dinner. I presented my new invention, on nonlinear waves, and got good feed back. Apparently no one noticed my somewhat original haircut. Or maybe they're just too polite to say anything.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a geology field trip, but it may be cancelled. There is only one man who can drive the bus here, and he's on vacation in the south >:)))

6 comments:

  1. Is the nonlinear wave an invention or theory? You will have to explain it to me sometime.
    I love your attitude! Where ever you are you have a great time!
    It does seem like an interesting place for a Geophysics conference. They did not want to go to the Iceland Volcano? (That I can't pronounce much less spell!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your haircut it doesn't matter if it's windy...just sayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You're at the top of the world! How cool is that? I love that they work together to export cod. It is surprising that they have the facilities to host a conference I think, but I'd love an excuse to spend a few days like that! Be sure and show your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting place to visit. Is it possible that some of those attendees would think it might be nice to at least have hair? Seems the older we get, the more common that response is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheesy: I've never been on this island before, so it was cool to get there.

    Mer: The nonlinear waves are, at present, only theory. I will eventually, become an invention if it works. I have a lot of math analysis to do before we know that. But in the language used in patents, and idea is referred to as an invention from the beginning.

    Laura: That's true. I have a convenient haircut for windy days.

    Hart: It's a small conference, only 100 people. They can't accommodate more people than that.

    Lisa: That's true >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails