August 20, 2010

Stockfish and rock

I just came back from the north. On the way south, the plane passed over a glacier, the second largest in Winterland. From the plane, I took a picture where you can see the crevasses in the glacier if you enlarge it.

Yesterday we were on a short geology field study along the beach. South and west of the island, there are potential oilfields under the sea floor. Therefore, it’s of interest to study the geology where it outcrops on dry land, to learn about what’s down there in the ground.

Yesterday we had a nice dinner, with dry cod prepared after the local recipe, served at the local bar. The cod is dried outdoor by the sun and the wind, without adding salt. This kind of dried fish is called stockfish.

All over the island there were racks made from logs. That’s where they hang the fish to dry it, for three months. Right now the racks are empty, since the fish has been taken down and shipped to Italy.

The stockfish export from this remote island to Venice in Italy, and how it all started in the 15th century, is interesting history. I’ll tell you the story later.

I am already missing the islands and mountains in the north. That’s why I’m listening to Mother North right now, a black metal classic by Satyricon. Here’s the link to the video on youtube: Mother North (video)

The video is somewhat controversial. If you don’t like that kind of stuff, you can listen to this cool version, live with the broadcasting orchestra: Mother North (live)

11 comments:

  1. You seem to do a lot of traveling. I rarely think to have my camera ready to take pictures. It's usually in a suitcase or the hotel drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be wild to see a glacier from a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen: I try to minimize work-related travel. With all the new fancy video and web conferencing technology, traveling is reduced. But I like to go up north as often as I can. I often have my camera in my pocket. I don't put the camera in a case. Then I'm late on all the cool stuff that suddenly appears

    Alex: Yes, it's cool to fly over the glacier. When the sky is blue, the planes often go low past it to get a good view >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so interesting to read about your life. Such a fascinating land.

    Re The Haircut...I'm with your old lady! Husband once cut off his beard and I didn't recognise him. And I didn't speak to him for days! :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy: The world is full of fabulous places, with special local conditions. My country has it's special features, same with yours.

    I haven't shaved for 3-4 days, so really need to do it now >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sun and wind? Seriously? That is amazing to me. I suppose it is the fact that the only meat preservation I've ever known of or dry storage is 'smoking' (I happen to love smoked meat... something I rarely confess) but it is counter intuitive that you could preserve fish by leaving it out in the weather. I suppose if the wind is constant enough, though...

    Very cool glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hart: It's amazing isn't it, that fish can be preserved by means of only sun and wind. It relies on the local climate on the northern coast, with stable cool weather. The fish hang on the racks from February to May, while there is little precipitation, steady wind and temperatures just a little bit above freezing point, and no insects. Further south, with warmer climate, they have to use salt in the drying process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need a pair of pants like my son has, with pockets everywhere. Lugging a heavy purse is a pain in the patootie. But it'd be easy to slip a small camera in one of those button pockets on the leg of the pants. (I'm thinking here.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some creative thinking for hot Texas, Helen. In the north we have plenty of easy-access pockets, since we usually wear a water and wind proof shell jacket, both summer and winter >:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So did you have Stockfish while you were in Venice? Still waiting for more pictures from that trip.
    Helen- I use my cellphone to take random pictures and vids.
    Haven't shaved? Me neither. All the better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, didn't have stockfish in Venice, but the one we got up north was prepared after a venetian recipe, with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes, Still the entire stockfish export goes to Italy ... read the story in my subsequent post >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails