August 24, 2010

Dear Cold As Heaven


Recently I got a mail, starting out like this:
Dear Cold As Heaven,

I would be honored if you’d take the time to review our product on your blog. In exchange for an unbiased review, We will provide a copy of the product for free! We will also place link to your review from our product's page with your logo.

The review may be written in any language you want ...

I thought maybe I could write a review in Fortran or Python >:)))

Just joking. This is the reply I sent:
Dear A####,

Thank you for your offer. I have, however, decided that I will keep my blog free from commercial reviews, ads and giveaways.

Best Wishes,
Cold As Heaven

In the picture you see the wave equation. That's how I make a living. I have everything I need, and a lot of crap I don't need. The blog is just a hobby, and I don't want to clutter it with ads and commercials.

Do you get mails asking for review of commercial products? How do you respond to that kind offers?

13 comments:

  1. I do review books occasionally, but not products. I get emails similar to yours sometimes. I either ignore them or write back and say no. Mostly, I ignore them since they're most likely one out of many they send out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been approached to do a product review, but if I were, I would probably just tell them to take a hike. Unless it is something that makes sense to me, in which case, I may be tempted to see it.

    Book reviews are quite another thing - that ties in with what I do in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ignore them, but your response was very polite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have gotten a fair few. Since I have a WRITING blog, usually I will allow an author to do a guest post about his or her book, because THEN, there is no endorsement one way or another from me--I am just providing them with a forum to reach other writers and readers and they can stand or fall as they will--some connect, some don't. I will REVIEW for my regular readers/networking friends only, and THEN, I can't really afford to buy in most cases... (and only books)--this was a decision based strictly on my time limitations.

    I won't consider any NON-writing stuff.

    I think your stance is perfect, considering you are not trying to ALSO get something out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had the offer before. I'm not sure I had the time to do it even if I wanted. I even buy the books I review on my site.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently got a similar email. But I just deleted it. You are more polite than I. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are special to get emails like that. I never do. I agree with Kelly you are more polite than the rest of us. I just ignore and delete!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am as rude as Kelly. :) I just pressed delete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think someone ask me to review their sex toys once...Haha...I only write sexy stories. I didn't say I use a lot of sex toys.

    My Darcy Mutates…

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, there are apparently a lot of rude people in here. No, I'm just kidding. I will probably a lot just delete if I start to get a lot of requests like the one above.

    Enid, I've never got that kind of request. It probably means my blog is too tame ... maybe I need to do something about that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I do get lots of spam. I felt guilty about deleting the first one, but after that...hit the button, baby! :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm. Not yet. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just lucky?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheila, I would say you're lucky >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails